5 seconds long repeatable beep on GA-VM800-775 Motherboard

Sep 24, 2018
So i had this computer, with 512 MB RAM and 320 HDD and a GA-VM800M-775 Motherboard. Whenever i power it on it' immediately give me a long beep that lasts 5 seconds, Then stops for 2 - 3 seconds and then the same 5 seconds beep plays again then stops for 2 - 3 seconds and repeat. A non end cycle. So what does that mean? I appreciate any kind of help. I tried to google for it and nothing so far. And yes i tried to check the manual.

Solution
Your motherboard contains AWARD BIOS, here are the following beep codes for AWARD,

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Assuming that your PC beeps as long as 5 seconds, I would go with faulty RAM.

Try to unplug RAM and clean pins and slot, perhaps connect it to the second RAM slot.

gabi014

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
Your motherboard contains AWARD BIOS, here are the following beep codes for AWARD,

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Assuming that your PC beeps as long as 5 seconds, I would go with faulty RAM.

Try to unplug RAM and clean pins and slot, perhaps connect it to the second RAM slot.

Solution

gabi014

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012

Before you throw parts or purchase new ones, I would recommend borrowing some parts for more detailed diagnosis
Because when beep code tells you "RAM issue" it is just in general memory error,

Rather then faulty RAM stick, it could be memory controller failed on motherboard's chipset, or a problem with CPU (MCU),
Although most of the time it would faulty RAM stick, it could also be MB or CPU problem, so my point is if you can get some spare RAM and test, that would be better.