[SOLVED] 5 times slower speed after connecting to any VPN service

emark

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hello everybody,

few weeks ago I changed my ISP and got a cable connection with 1.000 Mbps. I get on my computer speeds up to 935 Mpbs (Upload up to 47 Mbps). However, after I connect to my VPN provider (Express VPN, which is pretty pricey in comparison with others), the download speed goes down to about 140 Mbps. The Express VPN Support suggested some "solutions" : I tried different servers (closer ones), I tried changing the protocols ( UDP, TCP etc.). Nothing helped.

I tried 4 more VPN providers and the problem is the same. As soon as I connect to any VPN the download speed is severely reduced. I do expect a slower speed when going through VPN, but a 5 times lower speed ist unacceptable somewhow.

My ISP does not throttle / shape a VPN conenction (at least it says so). My router has the latest firmware , the operating system (Windows 10 64bit) was two times new installed.

Does anyone please have any idea, what could cause the problem?

Thank you very much :)

Solution
A lot of the problem is the amount of cpu power it takes to encrypt data especially using openvpn. It is unlikely it is being limited by your machine but I bet if you check you will see a signification cpu load. It is likely the VPN service provider either has some kind of cpu limitation or has a artificial limit. I know when I was testing this on sites like PIA or NORD i could get over 200mbps in the middle of the night but it would drop to low 50's on some location during prime hours.

The only way you are going to get fast vpn is to do it yourself. Get one of the vpn hosting sites and use a private virtual vpn server. The speed will only be limited by the power of the server you buy. Just playing with this will show...
D

Deleted member 14196

The problem is your VPN of course that’s going to slow down and none of the VPN services I’ve tried are any good and not fast

A lot of the problem is the amount of cpu power it takes to encrypt data especially using openvpn. It is unlikely it is being limited by your machine but I bet if you check you will see a signification cpu load. It is likely the VPN service provider either has some kind of cpu limitation or has a artificial limit. I know when I was testing this on sites like PIA or NORD i could get over 200mbps in the middle of the night but it would drop to low 50's on some location during prime hours.

The only way you are going to get fast vpn is to do it yourself. Get one of the vpn hosting sites and use a private virtual vpn server. The speed will only be limited by the power of the server you buy. Just playing with this will show you how bad openvpn is. Normal IPSEC is many times faster but few vpn sites support it because it hard to make work though nat sometimes.

Solution

emark

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your answers :)

I am gonna to look in the solution with the private virtual VPN server. I tried to create one with Microsofft Azure, somehow it is not working, since no connection can be made...

Do you have any recommendations for an easy way to set up private VPN Server? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
It has been a couple years since I did that and the company I used got bought I think. It is pretty much a server hosting site. People run anything from game server to web applications. There are some that specialize in vpn and preload some of the stuff but really any linux install has vpn abilities. It all depends if you want fancy gui. It is just a matter of loading the software you want. Maybe load a linux install to a local machine to play with before you rent any server time so the learning process is done before you are paying a monthly fee. It is a little slow but you can run linux from a usb stick and not impact your main OS.

In the articles I've seen paid ones range between 50-150Mbs.

If you pay for hosting you will be metered so be careful what resources you use. You aren't going to get a less expensive VPN doing that. Azure is $87 per TB so you can use as much as you want as fast as want.