News 5-Year-Old Radeon RX 580 2048SP Gets 16GB VRAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanderlindemedia

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022
The professional Instinct MI6 was the same Polaris, also with 16GB. It is'nt really a hack, they might have used larger density chips and crammed a Mi6 bios file on there.

The 16GB of memory is'nt going todo alot - the Polaris has always bin bandwidth starved, meaning at 1000Mhz core anything above will not yield you great benefit in regards of performance.

It would be a different beast if the graphics bandwidth somehow is cranked up. But they did'nt.

Reactions: artk2219

Wimpers

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
The professional Instinct MI6 was the same Polaris, also with 16GB. It is'nt really a hack, they might have used larger density chips and crammed a Mi6 bios file on there.

The 16GB of memory is'nt going todo alot - the Polaris has always bin bandwidth starved, meaning at 1000Mhz core anything above will not yield you great benefit in regards of performance.

It would be a different beast if the graphics bandwidth somehow is cranked up. But they did'nt.
Yup, I have a RX 580 4GB model and most of the time the core is at 100% but at full HD the RAM is sometimes only partially used. But all in all a decent card for it's price.
And they still ask $ 129 for a 6 year old card?!?

Vanderlindemedia

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022
Yup, I have a RX 580 4GB model and most of the time the core is at 100% but at full HD the RAM is sometimes only partially used. But all in all a decent card for it's price.
And they still ask $ 129 for a 6 year old card?!?

You actually might get away with reflashing a 8GB bios. Many cards upon release and review where to be told to flash to a 4GB version and a 8GB version, to test respectively the card instead of sending 2 cards.

However the 8GB was most of the time too much anyways - i think i tried upping maximum textures and all that in Doom Eternal back then but the GPU itself is just weak to proces anything beyond WQHD.

They can clock fantastic tho - i think i reached over 1660Mhz core and up to 350W of power over a single 8 Pin connector. The only problem is is the lacking bandwidth of the memory. Anything beyond 1000 ~ 1200Mhz in core is'nt scaling anymore. Your just burning more power and get minimum in return.

I have a 6700XT now which is 3x as faster.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yep. I would've forgiven it if it had said "thrice or twice" though, because I don't thing "quattrice" is a word.

I've seen quarce used in rare occasions. There's nothing wrong with inventing a new word, whether you make up something out of the blue or simply add prefixes or suffixes to another existing word. The only important thing is that it can be understood by the context. There are quite a few words that were basically invented by Shakespeare for specific purposes in his texts.

You actually might get away with reflashing a 8GB bios. Many cards upon release and review where to be told to flash to a 4GB version and a 8GB version, to test respectively the card instead of sending 2 cards.

However the 8GB was most of the time too much anyways - i think i tried upping maximum textures and all that in Doom Eternal back then but the GPU itself is just weak to proces anything beyond WQHD.

They can clock fantastic tho - i think i reached over 1660Mhz core and up to 350W of power over a single 8 Pin connector. The only problem is is the lacking bandwidth of the memory. Anything beyond 1000 ~ 1200Mhz in core is'nt scaling anymore. Your just burning more power and get minimum in return.

I have a 6700XT now which is 3x as faster.
The flashing worked on very specific Samsung GDDR5 modules, so it's not just any 4GB version of the RX480. I know, because I still have mine and it came with the Hynix modules, which can't be modded to 8GB.

Regards.

I've seen quarce used in rare occasions. There's nothing wrong with inventing a new word, whether you make up something out of the blue or simply add prefixes or suffixes to another existing word. The only important thing is that it can be understood by the context. There are quite a few words that were basically invented by Shakespeare for specific purposes in his texts.
"Quarce"? I like it. Thanks.

Vanderlindemedia

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022
The chinese do that alot,

qacu24s4hdj51.jpg

A 4 way crossfire RX480 board - used or designed for at least mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.