5 (yes five) FPS in GTA V with Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC?? Whattt?

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Hello all,

I need all your help on this one because it is literally blowing my mind away, I built my computer 8 days ago, 2 days ago I decided to return the Zotac GTX 1060 6gb for the Asus GTX 1070 Strix 8GB OC, I havent played anything on it yet.

So I go to my GTA V settings, I do the settings moderately, some very high, some ultra, all in all my MB usage in GTA V is 4.400 MB out of 8000.

I just started playing, next thing I know (about 2-3 minutes in) my FPS goes to 5...yes ladies and gentleman, FIVE :kaola: what in the world is going on?

I said 'No, this cant be, my weak GT 740 (in my old build) used to get at least 50 FPS, this card has to easily get at least 60FPS, so I restarted my computer and went at it again....but still the same issue, after 2-3 minutes of playing the FPS drops to 5.

I monitored everything, the GPU temp is stable (no higher than 61 C) the CPU temps are stable (no higher than 40-45 C), even when I press the windows key to do something else my mouse moves smoothly, but as soon as I go back to GTA V it starts going horribly slow. I have no idea what is going on.

Also, when I watch YouTube, or just randomly browse my computer everything is running fine and smooth, its just whenever I go into GTA V, and couple of days ago on the previous GTX 1060 that I had GTA V was easily surpassing 60FPS.

How can the Asus GTX 1070 Strix and OC edition not handle GTA V on moderate settings? Something has to be wrong and this is why I am asking all of you to please give me your suggestions of what possibly could be happening.

In case you are wondering, no I havent Overclocked anything on the card, and I am monitoring all the temps and usage via GPU Tweak II software and HWMonitor.

All drivers are up to date!!!

Please help me!

Specs:

- Windows 10 64 Bit
- 16 GB RAM (DDR4)
- i5 6600K 3.50 GHz
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H170-GAMING 3 1151 ATX
- GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX 8GB Graphics Card
- PSU: CORSAIR CXM 550W

Please help me, this is really freaking me out,

LaserNinja11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Could you provide a screenshot of you graphics settings and the settings like resolution etc. The "resolution scale" settings and other ones like msaa can have HUGE impacts in performance even if the used memory is way below what is free. I can go over my 2GB and have 60fps. But i can change my settings to be under 2GB and have awful fps

frank_hnd

Honorable
you have an i5-6600K on a H170 motherboard? (facepalm)

The Asus software that comes with your card has 3 profiles you can choose from OC Mode / Gaming Mode / Silent mode. try choosing Gaming Mode or you can go ahead and download the Bios update from the Asus website for your card (remember to get the OC version Bios) that helps you stabilize OC mode.

I'm guessing you have 2x 8GB RAM sticks, at what speed?

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

You mean a screenshot of the graphis settings with the settings in the game?

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Thats whats weird though, as far is HWMonitor is telling me all my temps are normal, GPU Tweak II is telling me all my temps are normal as well, however, I do hear the CPU fan spin a little faster when the game is on.

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

haha why the facepalm frank? Is this not a good motherboard? I mean when I was buying the parts the guy told me since you're not going to overclock the processor the H170 should be enough, are you suggesting its not a good fit for the type of processor I have?

I am going to give your suggestion a shot, but the other suggestions, I already tried using all 3 modes, all same results, as far as monitoring my GPU (Fan speed, temp, memory usage, GPU usage) everything looks normal.

Also I am not sure what speed the DDR4s are at, they are 16 GBs correct.

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Hello, I've been checking them via HWMonitor and all seems normal. My CPU cooler is Cooler Master T2. I am also leaning towards it being a temp problem, but if it lags the game like that, and if it is indeed temp problem then why is it as soon as I close the game I can run 5 youtube pages and browse my computer with no issues at all, I've had CPU temp problems before and they usually cripple all the actions on the PC, not just one.

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Also, when you say update the Bios from Asus website, I tried to search for it but the only thing I got off a google search was to update an Asus motherboard which I dont have, I have a gigabyte motherboard.

frank_hnd

Honorable

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

select your corresponding OS version and select Bios on the dropdown menu you will see the 2016/10/27 update

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Thank you i will check that out ONCE my computer finishes system restore, since it kept retasrting after a boot, you know why?

Well I said earlier when I'm browsing everything is normal, nope, i was wrong, everything went to s***, however, I noticed something that might be the cause of my problem, RAM usage was at a full %100 whole my computer was doing NOTHING. Which as you can imagine made moving my mouse take 15 seconds before becoming responsive, I think I got the suspect, now time to find out why my RAM usage is at a %100 by itself......what a Friday night.

cl-justin

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
Possible memory leak. Have you tried memory test?

+Jerutastic Before you proceed with further troubleshooting, I recommend that you scan for infection with the following two utilities:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Save your work and close all applications before starting each of the scans. ADWCleaner will take approximately 5 minutes and Combofix could take as long as 30 minutes. Be aware that Combofix may not run on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Regardless ADWCleaner, which is the first utility you should run, will run on any modern OS.

After running those two utilities, then run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). When prompted, agree to it's recommendation to remove the current drivers in Windows safe mode. After it does so and reboots back into Windows normal mode, then proceed to Nvidia website and download the appropriate drivers again. After you've done these two things, then please respond back to this thread and let us know if the issue is better, worse or the same. Thanks. - Rob

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Hello all, Like I stated I built my computer less than 2 weeks ago, and ever since I did the installation of Windows 10 (which I REALLY hate, Windows 7 is much better) I noticed somethings werent good. Yesterday when I posted this I originally thought it was a GPU problem, then a heating problem, even though all temp reads showed everything was normal, I didnt suspect a RAM problem, however, when I was browsing randomly my mouse started taking for ever to move around, and then tasks took over 5 minutes to open (opening Google Chrome), thankfully I had Task Manager opened and saw that my RAM was at a full 16 GB usage, 100%, I restarted the computer and then it just kept crashing right after the log in screen comes.

I restored it, moved the files I needed, and said the hell with it, I formatted the drive (which is a 12 day old drive) and reinstalled Windows 10 with a fresh clean install.

Before I did that I ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool, and nothing showed up as far as RAM problem, I ran few virus scans as well as the one rclas2000 suggested (before seeing his post) and nothing was shown, again I highly doubt it was a malware either.

My conclusion thus far, the RAM was leaking memory, why? when? how? I have no idea, thus causing my game to drop down to 5 FPS and my usual browsing to not respond at all. It hasnt been 24 hours since the reinstall of Windows 10, but so far everything seems normal.

Give me a couple of days, until I install all of my games again, and run them, and do the usual browsing and I'll get back to you guys to let you know if RAM was indeed causing all of this.

Its a shame that DX12 isnt supported by Windows 7, because if that was the case I'd never even consider such a crappy, privacy risk, piece of garbage that is called Windows 10. Windows 7 was MUCH better to diagnose than this piece of crap, I never even had to go to any forums to diagnose and fix my issues with Windows 7, it was all there and easy to access.

Thanks a lot to everyone, I will report back in a couple of days.

Just a note, RAM doesn't leak memory. A memory leak is caused by software which improperly allocates or deallocates memory, until it uses up all the memory in your system. I have not heard of GTA V having a memory leak, nor does Nvidia's drivers in that significant kind of way.

Make sure you monitor the clocks of your CPU and GPU while this is happening. Make sure it is done while gaming, and not after it closes down, unless you are looking at a graph that shows the change over time.

And make sure your Windows power options are set to balance or performance. The energy efficient setting will usually downclock your CPU.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Wasn't there a problem with nvidia's drivers that they needed to fix just last week? My guess would be that you got the bad driver, and when you reinstalled windows, you got the fixed one.

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Hello Max, well since the installation my non-pages pool while logged on does not exceed 160 MBs, and as far as playing GTA V I get around 50-60 FPS, so thats good, however, I am getting another serious issue that I think is also related to Asus, I also had this problem before I reinstalled windows, which is when restarting or starting my machine I get the BSOD and the message is 'PAGE FAULT IN NONE PAGED AREA', as well as saying that the module 'iomap64.sys' was the case for this happening, I am researching this heavily and its just throwing me off, because on every thread I read it seems to mean something different for someone else, the bottom line that is similar is they all have Asus card.

I can get in my computer, and it doesnt crash on me when I am logged in, only when restarting or shutting off.

Gonna research a little more and open a new post surrounding this issue.

LaserNinja11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Found this in my followed posts- your problem was a hardware change. You mentioned you sent your old card back and got a new one. Problems occured etc. Then you did a clean install and everything worked fine. It wasnt a ram leak or a temp issue
Let me explain- windows has a hard time adapting to a hardware change. Especially crucial parts of the system.
In order for windows to fully take advantage of bew hardware, it requires a FRESH CLEAN install of windows. No system restore or rollback, a CLEAN install.

Jerutastic

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Guys sorry to get back very late to you guys, this was a the Fraps Recording software casuing this, once uninstalled, and replaced with OBS my frames went back to normal. Thank you for your answers.