[SOLVED] 5 Yr Old GTX 970 i7 5930k rig Outperforms a 2950x 2x 280Ti NVME m.2 ssd In Passmark Bench Test

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Built a new Threadripper 2950x gaming/rendering rig to replace my 5 yr old i7 5930k system. Problem is, after working with animation software for a few hours the performance takes a nose dive. Videos play all pixelated, takes forever to read data on secondary drives, and games/software takes a lot longer to launch. Even as I type this comment, there's a lag of 1 to 2 secs for letters to show up and using the mouse to scroll webpages can also get sluggish. If you compare the 2 rigs, the new one is superior in every category. Sometimes it happens with high load on the CPU or GPU, sometimes with no load whatsoever. Rebooting fixes it, but never had this issue with the older rig.

Thought about adding another 32Gb of ram, but decided to run benchmarks on both rigs first.

As you can see below, 2D performance and memory latency benchmarks really drag the performance down. Could it be the latency and the poor 2D causing this. AMD TR is notorious for having really bad latency. Kind of thinking I should have gone with an i9 9900k instead.

Any ideas on rectifying this?

Solution
2d performance is based on your GPU, it runs on low clocks in 2d
as for sluginesh over time, ive experienced something similar (ony ryzen) when HPET was enabled with AMD sata drivers
try to disable HPET (if u dont use it) or uninstall amd sata drivers (from device manager)
2d performance is based on your GPU, it runs on low clocks in 2d
as for sluginesh over time, ive experienced something similar (ony ryzen) when HPET was enabled with AMD sata drivers
try to disable HPET (if u dont use it) or uninstall amd sata drivers (from device manager)

Solution