Question 50% of Websites won't load consistently, but it works when I use a VPN.

Jun 5, 2024
Some history. Changed my CPU to a Ryzen 5800X3D on a ASUS TUF X570 with Wifi. (Previously had a Ryzen 3700)
I rarely use the WIFI, Wifi has the same problems. I usually use the Computer Wired.
If I hit refresh on a webpage enough times, it will eventually load. Sometimes broken!

I only recently had this problem, after changing CPU's out
Weeks/Months of Internet Googling has suggested this is a DNS issue or something else due to switching out the CPU without a clean install (maybe?)

So I tried to do a reinstall. Backed Up everything and all that, Reinstalled at least 2 times. Tested/swapped Ethernet cables and various other things. As stated in the title. I turned on a VPN and all the tale tell signs went away.

Just for completeness sake I will try to answer the questions as requested. Let me know if there is more I can provide and I might ask the best way to provide that information because I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as an another dude, who knows how to computer.
  • Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch (Current Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 (Wifi Router 4 ports I believe, Also new Netgear Nighthawk modem 4 ports CM1200...Again that one is brand new for unrelated reasons and the problem persisted except while using a VPN)
  • How many PCs and laptops are connected to the network ( Usually 2 Wired PC's connected, one mini pc connected by never on, only the main PC is connected most of the time) Various Wifi devices are connected, 2 Consoles, Phones, and other smart devices)
  • Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network (Have a QNAP NAS connected)
  • Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch (I do have a wifi router , see above, and two switches, one is newer which connects to the mini pc which is almost never on, I do believe I tried messing with things for maybe an hour with the newer switch disconnected, no change)
  • If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card (no lan)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Your google search is likely correct most times it is a DNS issue.

It depends a bit on the version of windows and the patch levels. What you want to do is find the setting on the ethernet port. If you right click the interface should have a option called properties....unless microsoft changed it again. They have added another set of screens that let you set similar stuff but it is not as comprehensive.

What you are looking for is a screen that says things like client for microsoft network, and ipv4, ipv6.

So first I would disable IPv6. You should not really need IPv6 support and it at times causes strange issues.

To change the DNS click on the ipv4 option and then properties. On the bottom set the DNS option on and key 8.8.8.8 in the first box. You can also use 1.1.1.1

Another way to change the DNS is in the browser. This is not as good because it only changes it for the browser but it is easier to change. Search how to change dns in browser for youtube video but it is under the security tab in chrome. All you do is pick something other than OS default. Any of the options should work.

Reactions: tobaisender
Jun 5, 2024
Your google search is likely correct most times it is a DNS issue.

It depends a bit on the version of windows and the patch levels. What you want to do is find the setting on the ethernet port. If you right click the interface should have a option called properties....unless microsoft changed it again. They have added another set of screens that let you set similar stuff but it is not as comprehensive.

What you are looking for is a screen that says things like client for microsoft network, and ipv4, ipv6.

So first I would disable IPv6. You should not really need IPv6 support and it at times causes strange issues.

To change the DNS click on the ipv4 option and then properties. On the bottom set the DNS option on and key 8.8.8.8 in the first box. You can also use 1.1.1.1

Another way to change the DNS is in the browser. This is not as good because it only changes it for the browser but it is easier to change. Search how to change dns in browser for youtube video but it is under the security tab in chrome. All you do is pick something other than OS default. Any of the options should work.
This worked. (so far everything is as expected). Thank you!

One way to get to the correct area:

Type Settings into the Search Bar. (System Settings)

Go to Network and Internet ->Advanced Network Settings (scroll Down)
Click on Ethernet (or presumably Wifi if that's what you have)
Click on View Additional Properties
Then you can click on Edit and Do as was asked above.

Disabling IPV 6 was also at the bottom of the edit for the options at this point.

I will add, that i think I changed the IP address and had trouble, I went back and made sure I only changed the DNS and it looks good so far and will come back if there are problems.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: