[SOLVED] 500-700 Mbps internet speeds on gigabit line ONLY in W10

DrBaaa

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hi there, I'm having an issue where only my desktop's W10 install is getting pretty low speeds compared to my service. I have an Unraid server that can hit 1.2gbps, I can file transfer to that from the desktop as well at gigabit speeds, and if I liveboot Ubuntu on the desktop I get the gigabit speeds.

I've updated drivers, made sure I'm on full gigabit duplex, I don't believe I have any QoS settings setup, and I'm running 1809.

Any ideas on where to go would be appreciated!

Hardware:

Mobo: MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9
RAM: 32GB @ 2933

Solution
It is unclear how many machines you have. If you have 2 there is a old line mode program called iperf. It is a very simple network test. It is not affected much by memory,cpu,disk etc. It should show if your problem is in something like the network drivers or it is something else in the OS.

Win10 has so much trash in it. I really wish they let skilled user uninstall thing they know they will never need.
Are you getting the drivers from MSI or using the Windows driver update?
Windows might not have the best driver. It's best to get from MSI.

Don't adjust your duplex settings. leave it on auto.

Find your specific NIC model and search for win10 slowness for it.

DrBaaa

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I grabbed the driver from Intel, and sorry I meant I tried full duplex, but it's on auto now.

It's an intel i211, haven't found any common issues with it.

It is unclear how many machines you have. If you have 2 there is a old line mode program called iperf. It is a very simple network test. It is not affected much by memory,cpu,disk etc. It should show if your problem is in something like the network drivers or it is something else in the OS.

Win10 has so much trash in it. I really wish they let skilled user uninstall thing they know they will never need.

Solution