$500 Budget - something light and portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I've avoided the Surface brand for a long time now, due to it being extremely pricey and it not being a total laptop replacement as advertised. But, I really like the idea of having tablet that I can use as a laptop when I need to for school work (I have a desktop for any heavy lifting).

I'm here to ask what you think of this deal I found online for the Surface Pro 10.6 inch model (I think the Surface Pro 2) with 128 GB and (3rd gen? The spec list makes it unclear) i5. I usually wouldn't consider this an option, but the price is $419.99, which I think is pretty reasonable. The majority of my computer usage is internet browsing, video streaming - your basic light weight everyday computing, so I was thinking about purchasing a tablet. However, I felt that it wasn't a smart purchase because I there's no good way to be productive and do "real work" on most tablets. That's why I'm drawn to the Surface Pro.

Here's a link: http://

Do you think it's a good deal considering my usage and low budget? Should I keep looking for other alternative or go with a traditional laptop? Are there any alternatives I should look at?

Thanks

bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I should clarify that by "cheap", I'd like to keep it under $500, but could go as high as $600 if something really blew me away.

I really need something that's light and portable, so I think the Acer that Digitaldoc suggested is too bulky for how often I'd need to carry the device with me in an already heavy bag of books.

Status
Not open for further replies.