500 Error when uploading avatar

Alan Schwegler

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I am trying to edit my profile and load a new avatar. Every upload ends with, 500 - Uh oh, something went wrong. My image is 100x100 and 2.2k? I know they have to approve avatars but this seems like my request is not going through... Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Solution
Hey there!

This was an an issue on our end and it should be resolved; I just re-uploaded my avatar, which I took down to test this. You should be able to upload yours now, provided it doesn't exceed the parameters.

Looking forward to seeing that avatar! ;)

HTTP 500 status code is "internal server error" - i.e the handling web page encountered a non-recoverable error.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Hey there!

This was an an issue on our end and it should be resolved; I just re-uploaded my avatar, which I took down to test this. You should be able to upload yours now, provided it doesn't exceed the parameters.

Looking forward to seeing that avatar! ;)

Solution

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Ever visit Anandtech prior to Purch's acquisition of it? They had a weekly "maintenance" during peak hours on a Saturday. We're not perfect, but I'd say we do a fairly solid job of keeping things up and running, and repair it quickly when it does go down. And, like SS said, I don't think many forums deal with the same amount of traffic that we do, which is another thing to consider.

Anyway, things are normal-ish again, so let's just all enjoy the day. It's fairly warm in NYC right now, and I'm in a good mood this morning :D

Patent Pending? LOL!! :lol:

Naomi Kitsune

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but this appears to be happening to me since yesterday, I gave it a day to see if it would sort itself out, but I am still receiving this 500 error

Tried it again (next day) with nothing changed (i.e. the exact same file with the same filename) and for some reason it works fine now. Weird.