500 W PSU Ryzen 5 2600 GTX 1060?

sonic_boom81

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Is my EVGA White 500W 80+ going to be okay for my overclocked 2600 (3.8 - 4 GHz) and my Gigabyte 1060 6GB G1 Gaming using 8 pin connection?

I'm also running 2xSSD 2xHDD 5x 120mm fans, optical drive, wireless card. One PSU calculator I used said get a 750W, one said get 500W...

Solution
It's not larger you need, but better. 500W is plenty of power for such a setup. The issue isn't one of size/wattage but of quality. You need a PSU with good internals so it doesn't explode when you plug that 8pin power plug into the GPU. I'm running my R9 280 on a 450W PSU. And my 280 has ~2x the power draw of your 1060.

At stock your system should be pulling ~250W gaming load. Maybe even less. While not a great PSU, this should be doable for yours. Personally I would use it, but you do need a PSU upgrade. Keep it cool, don't OC on it and you should be fine. Replace with a good PSU when you can. The sooner the better.

sonic_boom81

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Ok. I have my PC set up with a 1050ti (no 6 pin) 75W, but just bought a 1060 120W, which will use the 8 pin. I hope to just swap them out and not go crazy with overclocking. I just wonder if 500W EVGA is going to be okay until I upgrade it if needed. Most the online calculators for my set up say that 500-550 is suitable.

Do yourself a favor and get a good PSU before you install the new GPU.

4745454b

Titan
It's not larger you need, but better. 500W is plenty of power for such a setup. The issue isn't one of size/wattage but of quality. You need a PSU with good internals so it doesn't explode when you plug that 8pin power plug into the GPU. I'm running my R9 280 on a 450W PSU. And my 280 has ~2x the power draw of your 1060.

At stock your system should be pulling ~250W gaming load. Maybe even less. While not a great PSU, this should be doable for yours. Personally I would use it, but you do need a PSU upgrade. Keep it cool, don't OC on it and you should be fine. Replace with a good PSU when you can. The sooner the better.

Solution

need4speeds

Distinguished
My really old antec true power 550 lasted, i modded it soldering on a 4 pin mother board atx plug because this power supply is older than the pentium 4, and molex to pcie connectors. When i bought it someone said.. "You will never need a 36amp 12volt rail, that's insane." A few years later.. "36amps is barely enough." lol. This power supply was a champ, running crossfire HD-4870's back in the day, and 90nm cpus also sucked lots of power too.

It got sold with a used pc that had a hd-4870 in it. I had bought a new OCZ Fatal1ty 550 with two 25amp rails for a total of 50 amps that was on sale with a cool looking led light. I am still using it.

It's mostly the lifespan of parts like the fan, and caps in the cheaper power supplies. Also the budget ones rarely can put out what they claim or they resort to revving the fan to do it. Cheaper power supplies usually trade noise for power. So a corsair CX 600 will scream the fan when under load while my OCZ is still quiet. I had to oil the fan on the CX 600 and buy and replace a cap. It's in my dad's pc and doesn't even work hard with a A8-3870K using it's IGP.

The 500watt EVGA will work and even let you overclock, but someday the fan will need to be oiled or replaced, maybe a cap will be bulging or leaking. It will likely deliver the power it claims but rev the fan under load. I am just saying what my personal experience has been with cheap vs. quality.

4745454b

Titan
I had bought a new OCZ Fatal1ty 550 with two 25amp rails for a total of 50 amps

Doesn't work that way. 12V * 50A = 600W. Your 550W doesn't put out 600W sustained. You can't just add the individual rails together like that. At best you have 45A combined. Considering it's an old OCZ and probably running a group regulated design, it probably has at best 504W on the 12V rail, or 42A.

but someday the fan will need to be oiled or replaced, maybe a cap will be bulging or leaking...I had to oil the fan on the CX 600 and buy and replace a cap

I know you are talking about your own experience, but PSUs are dangerous. I've replaced caps on a motherboard, I would never suggest someone replace a cap in a PSU. Even unplugged it could kill/hurt someone if they touch the main caps with a screwdriver. You or I could do this. We know what we are doing. No offense to the OP, but random Joe Smoe online probably doesn't. As I said above I'd replace the PSU with a good one when you can. They aren't that expensive.

Edit:
So EVGA is cheap?

Like any company they have cheap models. Is Chevy cheap? Ford? Without knowing which model you can't say. The 80+ white model is based on an older design with lower end parts in them. (Think cheap sub compact with a 4 cylinder in it.) It will get you to work, but you won't be doing 100MPH down the freeway with it.

need4speeds

Distinguished
The sticker on the OCZ says 450watts combined for 12volts.

I figured wrong that if you had a soldering gun and some tools that you would only attempt repairs\maintenance if you knew the basics.
And if not you would find a friend who does.

They do build computer power supplies sorta idiot proof. None of the larger capacitors are on the high voltage side. And once you unplug it the high side self drains down. To be sure push the computer power switch with the cord unplugged. You usually will see the fans try to start or the led's for the usb go dark.

^ well a evga w1 is more like a £30 psu in all honesty

£45 would have got you a cx450 which is way better quality.

As mediocre as the evga w series are theyre not dangerous (especially in the uk where mains power is very very stable) & they are capable of pushing out more than enough power for your setup with very little stress.

Use it for the time being, replace it when you can afford to as already suggested.

4745454b

Titan
Did you buy it recently? It probably was. Sorry. This would have been a better buy.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

If you could have upped the budget to £68, this would be a good option.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

The one you haven't isn't total garbage. As I said, it can power your system. But it's an older platform with less than good internals. Assuming you aren't using adapters to power your card I can see you using it. But you should replace it when you can.

4745454b

Titan
It happens.

Back in the day I bought a 750W bronze PSU thinking I was going to go CF. Never bought the second card, never even attempted to. Ended up selling the 750W unit for $45 and bought a much more appropriate 450W gold unit. Sucks to spend ~$90 on a PSU and then sell it for $45 around a year later. But at least now I know.

TRENDING THREADS