500GB Seagate only showing 128GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michschu1

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I know its kinda late but still... Points to note.. Either

1. Before installing anything check The BIOS (hit F2 in the case of intel on startup screen) and then check under drive configuration. There will be an option to change to Legacy or Native... Change it to Legacy or if u see LBA... You will see your hard drives correctly. after saving your settings. Motherboard BIOS settings first then think about the hard drives partitioning/OS installing...

Supported OS Win 2000 with SP3 and above if SP4 well and good. /XP Pro SP3 is out now so do the needful..

As mentioned by Vije earlier the below link shows the settings to edit your registry for your hard drive to go past the 137 GB limit...

http://support.microsoft.com/defau [...] -us;305098

I guess if people would have known this they would have first enabled the LBA settings in the BIOS and then started the installation and partitioning... Guess we have to learn the hard way sometimes... ; ) Cheers...

srikas

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks to all.
I was adding Hitachi 500G, with Intel D845WN chip set mother board, Winodws XP with SP3
Latest BIOS P15. but windows was showing only 128G
My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management.
Where as BIOS was showing 500G.

From Hitachi site came to know that it needs "Intel Application Accelerator" installed.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/qcheck.htm#a1

After installing this, windows XP shows all 500G.

willkrz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey there, I have a mac, Power PC running Panther (its the highest OS I can get it to run) and I put a 500 GB Seagate in it, and sure enough, same problem. 128 GB. You guys seem to be running down the problem on windows, but does anyone know anything about Mac? Unfortunately this is the Only thread about this topic I can find anywhere. If anyone could help it would be greatly appricated.