[SOLVED] 500GB vs. 2TB - Windows 10 OS install

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I'm not planning on buying an SSD drive for a computer build for my daughter, but just put the OS on ether a 500Gb or a 2TB 7200rpm drive. Is there any advantage to putting the OS on a 500GB drive and then having the 2TB drive for storage and larger games? Or should I just use the 2TB drive for the OS and everything?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an I5 3570K .

Thanks

Solution
No SSD is what I was asking about. Putting the OS, games, everything on a 2TB Seagate 7200rpm drive. As opposed to putting the OS on a 500GB SATA 7200rpm drive, but having the 2TB one as a slave for storage and large games.

I agree, putting everything on the 2TB drive sounds good. If I need it, I can add the 500GB to store crap on.

I suppose someone could talk me into getting an SSD drive for the OS, but I really do not want to.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not planning on buying an SSD drive for a computer build for my daughter, but just put the OS on ether a 500Gb or a 2TB 7200rpm drive. Is there any advantage to putting the OS on a 500GB drive and then having the 2TB drive for storage and larger games? Or should I just use the 2TB drive for the OS and everything?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an I5 3570K .

Thanks
?
What SSD are you looking at? Generally, THAT is where the OS and applications go.
Whatever does not fit, that goes on a larger HDD.

Or, a single large SSD...1TB perhaps.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
No SSD is what I was asking about. Putting the OS, games, everything on a 2TB Seagate 7200rpm drive. As opposed to putting the OS on a 500GB SATA 7200rpm drive, but having the 2TB one as a slave for storage and large games.

I agree, putting everything on the 2TB drive sounds good. If I need it, I can add the 500GB to store crap on.

I suppose someone could talk me into getting an SSD drive for the OS, but I really do not want to.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
An SSD is highly recommended (I wouldn't build a PC without one).
But, the 500+2TB, or just 2TB, is highly dependent on the user.

A technokid can manipulate the 2 drives easily. But a LOT of people don't even realize there is a second drive in there...;)