[SOLVED] $500ish build compatibility/cutting cost

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoIAmDashing

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Hello I am going to build a $500ish pc build! This build I’m making is going to be mine for maybe 3-6 months until parts are available for me then gift it to my buddy. I need to cut costs on this because it’s supposed to be around $500 and it’s closer to 1k including the gpu. I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me I need to find a gpu that fits my budget and will be awesome! I also have none of these computer components so I can change the whole build or a lot of it to save money or to get performance. Thank you for reading I hope you stay safe and have a nice rest of your day :)

Solution
5600g is a good option for an upgradable machine which can do esports gaming. A 5600g with igpu will likely need low settings to play more demanding games at 1080p while still maintaining a smooth FPS.

If you do not mind purchasing a used graphics card, you can get a lot better performance for your money than you would with a 5600g APU based system, even with the rest of the PC being brand new.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $107.48 @ MemoryC
Motherboard | ASRock H570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $104.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Silicon Power XPOWER Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory |...
You cannot get any GPU worth having on a $600 budget since even the lowest-end GPU worth buying would eat most of your budget and leave you stranded with junk for the rest of your system. With the Ryzen 5600G, you can use integrated graphics until some semblance of sanity returns to GPU pricing.
that's what most would say that build computers or game at all.
but others here would convince them to buy an 8 year old GPU that is mostly going for ~$150-300 used.
may handle some old games with good settings and decent fps at 1080p, but for any modern AAA game it will be running lowest possible settings and still not achieving very high fps.
and the post the OP is quoting while making this statement is about the 5600G.
And if you expand said quote, you will see the i3 builds that were listed above.
then the OP just needs to make clearer statements because even looking at the entire quoted post their comment is still connect to a comment regarding the 5600G.

logainofhades

Titan
then the OP just needs to make clearer statements because even looking at the entire quoted post their comment is still connect to a comment regarding the 5600G.

They were replying to a post. Why should they have to edit it, to make it easier for you? Also the full post, that they quoted, was to give an alternative to a 5600g, that would offer overall better gaming performance, vs the 5600g. The 5600g is a better alternative, upgrade path wise, but an i3 10100, or a 3300x, with an old gtx 770, would give far better gaming performance, than a 5600g would, with the 3300x being the better option, vs a 10100. The 5600g is barely better than a GT 1030. The 770 is closer to a 1050ti, which is far better than a 1030. I have seen 770 going on ebay for $100. A 3300x, with a 770 is cheaper than a 5600g, while giving far better performance, and the 3300x can handle a faster GPU, later on, when prices stabilize. It all boils down to how much the OP can spend max. You get the best performance, that you can afford.

InvalidError

Titan
So is the 5600G the best option?
If you'd like to get a reasonably powerful CPU that will be able to drive a much stronger GPU at some point in the future while still having an IGP powerful enough to get some reasonable gaming done in the meantime, I'd say so.

Going with an i3 or 3300X and kind of overpriced ancient GPU means you'll probably end up throwing both away relatively soon.

others here would convince them to buy an 8 year old GPU that is mostly going for ~$150-300 used.
I am sensing hostility. I understand it is an old card, however it is an option that has its pros.

As for the price, that varies region to region. In USA on ebay, you can get 2gb varients for well under $150.

Examples of some cheap ones:
PNY GTX 770 2GB $99+shipping (+$9 for me)
Msi TF 770 2gb $99+shipping (+20 for me)

Going with ebay would give the buyer protection so that you can be made sure the card will work fine.

So is the 5600G the best option?

There is no right or wrong choice. Both options have their pros and cons.

The 10100f or 3300x with a 770 would offer the best performance in games currently. While it still isn't a card for high settings, it will perform significantly better than the 5600g+igpu in games. It will be night and day difference in my opinion.

The 5600g and igpu will offer less graphics power, but on the flipside a more powerful CPU. This option also comes with all of the benefits that comes with that. Warranty, better driver support, etc.

----------------

To note, if you are going the route with a used descrete GPU, I would not reccomend the 3300x.

If you can afford abetter cpu than the 10100f, I would go with an i5 10400f at $150 with same $105 h570 over swapping to a $140 3300x and $100 b550. For $15 more you are getting a significantly better processor with 6 cores versus 4. It does have downsides, but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

A 10100f, 3300x, and 10400f all hold their own as CPUs when paired with newer GPUs. You could easily upgrade the GPU to a much more powerful newer card without worrying too much about the CPU holding you back.

YoIAmDashing

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
What would you choose if you were in my situation you seem like you have a lot of experience. Also my friend plays really simple games like minecraft and don’t starve together but might want to try out a couple more demanding games.

InvalidError

Titan
I am sensing hostility. I understand it is an old card, however it is an option that has its pros.

As for the price, that varies region to region. In USA on ebay, you can get 2gb varients for well under $150.
The GTX700's series' biggest con: no more driver support.

Another major con: most new-ish games really need 4-6GB even at the lower end of their graphics settings, especially if you have background apps including Windows itself hogging 1-2GB of VRAM.

InvalidError

Titan
Most boards only allow a max allocation of 2gb for Ryzen APUs.
Doesn't matter when you have unified memory. You could set the GPU allocation in BIOS to 64MB and still get exactly the same performance since drivers will allocate whatever additional memory is required as-needed against the system pool. The BIOS reservation only exists to get around software that does a "hard check" on VRAM size.

My friend doesn’t know much about PCs. He doesn’t know how to upgrade or anything about components.
why not have this "friend" come here and learn something for themselves.
it doesn't really sound you understand much about the current hardware options out there either.
instead of making unsure decisions for this supposed "friend",
they should put in some research here and other places to actually learn exactly what you are trying to figure out.
Alright and considering I’m building 3 of these...
and why not just put up for a single higher-tiered system now and save for the other two instead of going SUPER-budget build on all three and compromising performance all the way around?

YoIAmDashing

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
The pc is a gift for him, I understand the new hardware I’m just asking for help so I’m not saying all I know. All these PCs are temporary because I need A PC ASAP. After the gpu crisis isn’t a problem I’m going to buy a $5000 pc for my pro work.

Status
Not open for further replies.