[SOLVED] 500Mbps wireless speed but only hitting 80Mbps on pc

Jan 20, 2022
Bit of a shot in the dark but I have recently upgraded my network from a measly 80Mbps connection to a new 500Mbps download speed, only issue is on my pc I am only achieving 80Mbps roughly (goes up and down but around that number) Wirelessly on my phone I'm getting a stable 500Mbps.
I have a prime Z590-A motherboard and its connected to the network using a
TP-Link TL-WPA7510KIT
Honestly tried all the threads i could find on here about having slower speeds but none seem to work for me, any help would be great(y)

Solution
It all depends on the house. Most people that get good wifi coverage do not even buy powerline networks. You have to be careful powerline is not really a "wired" connection like a true ethernet cable. It is kinda like radio signal that uses the wires for its antenna rather than sending it through the air.

If you were to take best case wifi has much more total bandwdith than powerline does. So in cases where you get good wifi signal it will be faster.

The main question is what is most important. So many people look at the speedtest numbers but that really only matters for large file downloads. Most other common application do not use a lot of bandwidth and having extra does not make them run better.

The key difference...

USAFRet

Titan
If i do a speed test wirelessly using my phone i get an easy 450 vs a speed test on my pc gets me 80, ive uses speedtest.net and others like it, plus also steam downloads are also the same
Steam reports in megaBytes/sec.
Your ISP and speedtest reports in megabits/sec.
As noted in your OP.

Big B vs small b.
8:1 ratio.

80 * 8 = 640 == over 500.

Is your PC wired or WiFi to your router?
The ONLY thing that counts is wired.

Jan 20, 2022
Steam reports in megaBytes/sec.
Your ISP and speedtest reports in megabits/sec.
As noted in your OP.

Big B vs small b.
8:1 ratio.

80 * 8 = 640 == over 500.

Is your PC wired or WiFi to your router?
The ONLY thing that counts is wired.
I get that mate I mean it all in Mbps, i already times steam by 8.

I assume the phone is connecting via wifi directly to the router. 500mbps is a extremely fast wifi speed.

How are you connecting your PC. First you have powerline networks in the path. You also have wifi. The powerline units you have should get more than 80mbps but I would not expect more than say 150 even with a ethernet cable. If you are connecting to the powerline unit via wifi then it will be even slower

Jan 20, 2022
I assume the phone is connecting via wifi directly to the router. 500mbps is a extremely fast wifi speed.

How are you connecting your PC. First you have powerline networks in the path. You also have wifi. The powerline units you have should get more than 80mbps but I would not expect more than say 150 even with a ethernet cable. If you are connecting to the powerline unit via wifi then it will be even slower
Im connecting to the powerline unit through ethernet, surely my wifi speeds on my phone should be considerably slower than a wired connection?

It all depends on the house. Most people that get good wifi coverage do not even buy powerline networks. You have to be careful powerline is not really a "wired" connection like a true ethernet cable. It is kinda like radio signal that uses the wires for its antenna rather than sending it through the air.

If you were to take best case wifi has much more total bandwdith than powerline does. So in cases where you get good wifi signal it will be faster.

The main question is what is most important. So many people look at the speedtest numbers but that really only matters for large file downloads. Most other common application do not use a lot of bandwidth and having extra does not make them run better.

The key difference between wifi and powerline is wifi is very subject to interference from both inside and outside your house . This will cause it to have very inconsistent latency. Powerline pretty much is immune to interference, but there are some people that have electrical devices that can interfere.
It all depends on if you play online games. Powerline is going to much better than wifi since games really care about consistent latency.

Reactions: WarWolverineWarrior
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
As bill001g mentioned, Powerlines are super subjective because of how each house is wired. You could either install a wifi card in the PC or run a cable.

Here's a cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OMG No!

Not that cable.

That is the antithesis of a good cable.
"Cat6" and "flat"

"Cat6' is a false version. Never really ratified.
'flat' cable, the actual wires are too thing. Absolutely NOT standard ethernet.

Not even a little bit.
I wouldn't use that if you gave it to me for free.
Seriously.

OMG No!

Not that cable.

That is the antithesis of a good cable.
"Cat6" and "flat"

"Cat6' is a false version. Never really ratified.
'flat' cable, the actual wires are too thing. Absolutely NOT standard ethernet.

Not even a little bit.
I wouldn't use that if you gave it to me for free.
Seriously.
I run it and it works as described along with 83k people that rated it. It is not noticeable and blends in with the white walls. For home use it's fine.

USAFRet

Titan
I run it and it works as described along with 83k people that rated it. It is not noticeable and blends in with the white walls. For home use it's fine.
And I can find 100,000 reviews of $100 mountain bikes at walmart that say they are great.
They are not.

The gauge of the cable is too small.
And Cat6 is no faster or more stable than the typical residential standard of Cat5e.

Reactions: ROOT#
And I can find 100,000 reviews of $100 mountain bikes at walmart that say they are great.
They are not.

The gauge of the cable is too small.
And Cat6 is no faster or more stable than the typical residential standard of Cat5e.
Who cares? This thread is about getting 500Mbs from this guys router to his computer, not IEEE standards.

I'd take that cable over EOP.

PS. How are you even a moderator when you just hijacked this person's post?

Feb 13, 2022
Who cares? This thread is about getting 500Mbs from this guys router to his computer, not IEEE standards.

I'd take that cable over EOP.

PS. How are you even a moderator when you just hijacked this person's post?

i mean technically if that's the speed he's getting and it's the cable's fault then what can he do about it (never really bought one so idk), but i did have the same issue with my previous lan cable who only gets me 1MB/s, even tho my Internet speed is like 10MB/s, changed my cable and it's maxing on 10MB