[SOLVED] 512 Rear Chassis Fan Not Detected

trevorplatt

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi all,
I have a lot of questions so please bear with me.

I installed my PC into a new case, Corsair 110R. The PC is a HP Pavilion 550-276na (link to original spec: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05192149).

I'd previously installed a Corsair RM850x PSU and a second-hand GTX1060. After doing this I realised the airflow was terrible and the GPU was overheating, hence the new case.

When installing the PC in the new case I installed the supplied 120mm Corsair fan, rather than the old 92mm fan. Everything went fine until the second time I turned it on and I got the "512 Rear Chassis Fan Not Detected" error message.
It also says (something like) "F1 to Bootup" and "setup".

I've had this message every time I turn on my PC and each time I've had to turn the PC off unplug and re-plug the fan.
On one occasion F1 took me to a setup screen (nothing on there regarding fans), on all other occasions pressing F1 did nothing. Accessing the "setup" option seems to be impossible (although if that’s the same one that F1 accessed, it didn’t seem very useful anyway).

I posted this on HP's own forum and they confirmed my suspicion that the new fan has a lower starting RPM so it wasn't being detected by the BIOS. They failed to answer any of the following questions, instead advising me to find out the starting rpm of the 92mm fan and buy a new one that has the same.

So, is it possible to edit the BIOS to detect a fan at a lower RPM? Or, if safe to do so, disable the detection altogether? If disabled will it still adjust fan speed as necessary? Is there something else I could try if this is not a suitable option?

Also, I was planning to buy a controller so that I can install two additional 120mm Corsair fans (three in total with the one supplied with the new case). Will a controller even work with this motherboard? I’m assuming that if the above problem is fixed then the controller will be fine, should I not be assuming this?

FYI, all fans mention are 3-pin and, yes, it is plugged into the correct port on the motherboard (labelled sys_fan) (sorry, but I get asked that a lot).

Of all the things I considered that could go wrong with this, a simple fan wasn’t even on the list.

Any and all advise would be gratefully received.
Thank you for your time (especially if your got this far).

Quick edit: I jury-rigged the old 92mm fan in place of the 120mm fan for the time being, so I would have to swap it back before performing any tests.

Last edited:
Solution
You don't need an 850W PSU for that entire platform with a GTX1060 in there. A Corsair CX550W unit would've done it.

You would need to replace the innards back into the prebuilts's chassis and perhaps get a blower style cooler GPU or one that has a beefy heatsink. Modifying BIOS is something no one wants to do unless they know what they're doing. To be blunt, you went down a rabbit hole without knowing the consequences of each action.

In fact, if possible I'd have gone for a cooler running card, like a GTX1660Ti, pairing it with a 550W modular PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
You don't need an 850W PSU for that entire platform with a GTX1060 in there. A Corsair CX550W unit would've done it.

You would need to replace the innards back into the prebuilts's chassis and perhaps get a blower style cooler GPU or one that has a beefy heatsink. Modifying BIOS is something no one wants to do unless they know what they're doing. To be blunt, you went down a rabbit hole without knowing the consequences of each action.

In fact, if possible I'd have gone for a cooler running card, like a GTX1660Ti, pairing it with a 550W modular PSU.

Solution

trevorplatt

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
OK, well, I can't go back in time.

Before buying the GPU, PSU or Case I posed the questions on several forums and was advised that they would be OK. The fans have never been mentioned - not once.

Editing the BIOS is out of the question, fine, message received.

So, do you have any actually advice for the situation I am in now, or do you want to keep playing your little game of Captain Hindsight?

Since you already moved the parts to another system, next step would be to swap the motherboard for one made to be used with general PC parts, not an OEM setup. Since you had issues with using a fan with the system there is no way to know if a controller would work without trying it. I'm sure you can find a used motherboard for pretty cheap. Small issues like this are really to be expected when working with pre-built systems, they are designed to be used without much upgrading so everything is setup to be used on the system as it came from the factory vs just computer parts you buy to build you own, which are designed to be used with open standards much more.