52Pi Ice Tower Raspberry Pi 4 Cooler Review: Big Honking Fan

Giroro

Splendid
Honestly, the fun of getting creative with the cooling is part of why I want a Pi 4 in the first place.
I'm still really curious to how The Pimoroni Heatsink performs when it uses thermal compound instead of the thermally insulating tape that they used.
I'm a little suspicious they deliberately nerfed the cooling on that $3 heatsink on purpose, in order to sell fan shims....
It really shouldn't be that hard to passively cool <10 watts.

How does this ice tower cooler perform without the fan on? It seems like a relatively neat way to add a heat pipe.

Watching all these cooling solutions for the Pi4 come out makes me wonder what kind of chipset/ram heatsinks would fit on it.

I hear some m.2 cooling will fit without much effort

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
How does this ice tower cooler perform without the fan on? It seems like a relatively neat way to add a heat pipe.

They addressed that in the article.
The Ice Tower, thanks to its dramatically greater surface area and overall mass, is a different story. Even with the fan removed, the Ice Tower kept the SoC well below the throttle point with a peak recorded temperature of 68 degrees Celsius. This impressive result suggests a passive Ice Tower could handle even extended sustained workloads, though eventually the laws of physics suggest it too will begin to throttle without forced convection from a fan.

Reactions: bit_user

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, that it seemed to be leveling out on the graph suggested that it would continue to keep things at 70 or below.

Maybe that part of the comment was a little bit of hedging bets, a sealed or maybe poorly ventilated case, different ambient temperatures (say, if you live in India vs if you live in Finland), etc.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
eventually the laws of physics suggest it too will begin to throttle without forced convection from a fan.
WTF?

I don't agree with the idea that passive cooling is destined to eventually throttle without a fan, because physics.
I know, right?

Yeah, that it seemed to be leveling out on the graph suggested that it would continue to keep things at 70 or below.
It's converging well below the throttle point!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you want better performance from the 4 GB version, rather than overclocking and buying a big heatsink, your money is better spent on a faster board.

A bonus is that it runs full 64-bit Ubuntu and is much more power-efficient, but the downside is it's not exactly a Pi.

The linked page shows that it converges at about 73 degrees C, with its passive heatsink and all 6 cores + GPU stressed.

Dec 7, 2019
This is so absurd, I want it!

It's completely absurd, as I opened it the partner screamed and the children cried, and I started to have the faintest whiff of buyer's remorse. I had the hope that I'd be able to bodge the PiBow 4 to fit the Ice Tower but when I saw it I thought this plan had gone completely out of the window... Not so, surprisingly a perfect fit and no bodging required, just had to omit the bottom plate and 4 riser screws from the cooler kit and it all fit's together beautifully.

It's still absurd, but I love it!

sTtdiSv.jpg