530W PSU fpr GTX 970?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shouvik Ghosh

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

I recently bought Thermatech 530W PSU for my PC and planning to buy a GTX 970 gpu soon.

I am wondering is my PSU good enough for the Nvidia GTX 970.

Pls give your feedback.

:)

HomerThompson

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I wish these sold in the US. Looks like a hell of PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=250

But I would still go a little higher:
http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=8&ID=42&lang=

Not because I don't think that PSU won't meet its wattage (it easily will), but because I think Nvidia isn't being totally honest when they call the 970 a 145W card. I have seen reviews that show it can spike a lot higher, and that the power consumption difference between it and the R9 290 are overblown. I run my 970 on a 620W PSU myself (Antec Neo Eco 620C), which is definitely a little overkill (but I got a crazy deal on it).

Shouvik Ghosh

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2014

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with what's said above,but still think you could try with the psu you already have.Heat is probably it's biggest enemy so be sure it has enough breathing room i.e. don't put it on a carpet.

What is the cpu you use btw?

LIke i said haven't read of much troubles with it,but don't really know it either.It has enough power and seems to be decent enough.It's a pitty the PSU Master doesn't reply anymore,he seems to know more.Maybe see if the Admin reply's to a p.m?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Not overclocked? Maybe when overclocking look for a different psu,at this moment is overclocking not really going to make a huge difference anyway.
I asked because intels use less power compared to amd so not pushing the psu even more.I still think you could try it,but the opinions are divided.

Cza Caesar

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
i have amd phenom II X6 1055T and if want to buy gtx 970 and upgrade the procie to i7 4790 do i get lower wattage consumption? then do i still need to change my superflower GG 450w? i just bought the PSU last year

my current cpu spec is :
amd phenom II X6 1055T
6GB RAM
AMD RADEON 5570
Super Flower Golden Green 80+ Gold 450W

If i want to upgrade my rig to:
i7 4790
ASRock B85M-Pro3
Zotac GTX 970
Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Black 16GB

do i need to change my PSU? or you can give advise to maybe lower the price with similar performance to the list i mentioned above, thanks

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Well imo no.

It would be better to start your own thread.