Apr 8, 2020
I want to upgrade my graphics card, but see recommendations range from a 500-650W PSU for the card I'm looking at. I'm looking at a watercooled RTX2070 Super to go with my system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9392D...olid=10X4QSASUJRU1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My current setup is as follows
PSU: 550W Photon 80+ Gold
MB: Gigabyte GA-H170 Gaming 3
CPU: Intel i7-6700
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 2400
3 hard drives (120GB SSD, 1T SSD, 1T HDD)
Cosair H100i AIO cpu cooler (240mm)
4x120mm Corsair LL RGB case fans w/ power CORE RGB hub

I feel like I have a pretty good PSU that could handle it no problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting it under too much consistent load playing games for hours at a time. The card is already a bit of a stretch, hate to drop another $100+ for a new PSU too. Any advise is appreciated, thank you!

D

Deleted member 1560910

I think it might be ok. I have a Asus Thor with my 9900k an 2080ti most games pull less then 500 watts with the exceptions of BF V. If thats the GPU you want get it and even pick up a watt meter which measures wattage being pulled fro mthe wall i dont think its too expensive. Im not sure the quality of Rosewill.

I want to upgrade my graphics card, but see recommendations range from a 500-650W PSU for the card I'm looking at. I'm looking at a watercooled RTX2070 Super to go with my system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9392D...olid=10X4QSASUJRU1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My current setup is as follows
PSU: 550W Photon 80+ Gold
MB: Gigabyte GA-H170 Gaming 3
CPU: Intel i7-6700
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 2400
3 hard drives (120GB SSD, 1T SSD, 1T HDD)
Cosair H100i AIO cpu cooler (240mm)
4x120mm Corsair LL RGB case fans w/ power CORE RGB hub

I feel like I have a pretty good PSU that could handle it no problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting it under too much consistent load playing games for hours at a time.

if money is not too big of an issue, go with 700wats or 750watts.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bron...ectronics&sprefix=evga,electronics,158&sr=1-6
The reasony why I say that, the way your system is currently set up and your adding on a rtx 2070.
You will want the extra power when everything is going at full speed inside of your case.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Solution
Yeah nvidia mentioned 650wats or higher, to be honest if evga wasn't having a shortage stock of 650watts platinum or bronze.
I would settle for that, the only deal with that is, keeping that 6700k normal clock speed between 3.4ghz - 3.8ghz max over clock speed.
That way it is not needing very much power, when you are gaming at high end settings or ultra max settings.

if money is not too big of an issue, go with 700wats or 750watts.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3L5XH3VDSAAUP&dchild=1&keywords=evga+700w&qid=1587136405&s=electronics&sprefix=evga,electronics,158&sr=1-6
The reasony why I say that, the way your system is currently set up and your adding on a rtx 2070.
You will want the extra power when everything is going at full speed inside of your case.
The Corsair CXM would not be my recommendation for an RTX 2070 Super that costs nearly $600. OP should be buying a better quality PSU than he has now if he upgrades the PSU at all.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah nvidia mentioned 650wats or higher, to be honest if evga wasn't having a shortage stock of 650watts platinum or bronze.
I would settle for that, the only deal with that is, keeping that 6700k normal clock speed between 3.4ghz - 3.8ghz max over clock speed.
That way it is not needing very much power, when you are gaming at high end settings or ultra max settings.

If they were available, be VERY careful about getting EVGA - some of their PSU models are good, and some are the kind I wouldn't dare gamble on my expensive new hardware with.

The Corsair CXM would not be my recommendation for an RTX 2070 Super that costs nearly $600. OP should be buying a better quality PSU than he has now if he upgrades the PSU at all.

Lol honestly I don't like corsair or Seasonic, but some others have a different preference to what works normally for most.

Usually I recommend people go with antec or evga psu's.
Out of the last 7 years. evga bronze plus 600watt psu have not given me any issues.
Antec psu vp450 I had was really good lasted 2 years and quit working.

That was my fault partly as I had just upgraded from a gt 520 to a galaxy gt 640 super clock edition.
https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForce-Express-Graphics-64TGF8HX6FTZ/dp/B0084ZYHMU
Never did any damages to my computer and the tech support people there were awsome.
They sent me another psu under 3 year warrany within a week back in 2012.

Lol honestly I don't like corsair or Seasonic, but some others have a different preference to what works normally for most.

Usually I recommend people go with antec or evga psu's.

You don't like Corsair or Seasonic, so you recommend Antec and EVGA PSUs, which are rebadged PSUs? And some of which, the good ones, are rebadged Corsair or Seasonic units?

The irony here is that if people listen to your recommendation and are lucky, they'll get either a rebadged Corsair or Seasonic, which will be fine. And if they're unlucky, especially in the case of EVGA units, they'll get a bad capacitor-ridden piece of junk.

Not to flame you here because your intentions are clearly well meant, but I suggest you read up a bit more on good PSU units and OEMs. The poster you quoted @Archaic59 is correct in stating that if you have 600 bucks to spend on a graphics card, it's extremely remiss to then go for an entry level power supply.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I will say this: it's not about what you like or don't like. It's about what is good for your system and will protect your expensive parts.

Click on the first link in my sig and read the write-up CAREFULLY and thoroughly (the first post, you don't have to worry about the discussion portion afterward).

Reactions: John Chesterfield