[SOLVED] 5600x upgrade high temps

Mar 16, 2021
I just swapped my 2600x for a 5600x, and my fans are now maxxing out (switched to pwm in bios) I don't have previous temps to compare this to because I never checked. I don't overclock, and my fans are never that loud unless they get over 60%. That pretty much never happens.

Cpu is idling at 53c in bios. And gets to 74c in overwatch 1440 144hz. Nzxt cam says load is only 26%. Just turned off, and checked the thermal paste (arctic mx-4 2019. It was unopened). It looked like a good spread over the cpu.

Rig:
  • ryzen 5600x w/ wraith prism (the cooler from the 2700x)
  • Asus tuf b450m gaming plus
  • Corsair vengeance ram (8x4) 3200
  • Evga 3080 ftw3
  • Evga supernova 850 g+ 80 plus gold
  • Corsair 280x (2 120mm front as intake, 2 120mm bottom as intake, 2 140mm top as output). I also extended the gap on the glass panel, so I think the airflow is pretty decent

Why is it so high? Did I miss something? This is my first cpu swap. I cleaned off previous paste with isopropyl alcohol. Is it possible to get a bad chip? This is bumming me out.

Solution
I just swapped my 2600x for a 5600x, and my fans are now maxxing out (switched to pwm in bios) I don't have previous temps to compare this to because I never checked. I don't overclock, and my fans are never that loud unless they get over 60%. That pretty much never happens.

Cpu is idling at 53c in bios. And gets to 74c in overwatch 1440 144hz. Nzxt cam says load is only 26%. Just turned off, and checked the thermal paste (arctic mx-4 2019. It was unopened). It looked like a good spread over the cpu.

Rig:
  • Evga 3080 ftw3
  • Corsair 280x (2 120mm front as intake, 2...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
74C under load is absolutely fine. That's pretty good, considering the Wraith Prism + the 3080 below it.

There is nothing unusual going on here in regards to thermals. People have been frequently caught off guard by the 'high spikes' of 3000 and 5000.
Call it a byproduct of their power saving 'rush to sleep state'.
Also of relevance is the thermal density of the 7nm dies + MCM layout + IHS not being able to properly disperse some of the heat up and into the cpu cooler.
Ryzen 5000 has an even more aggressive turbo boost algorithm than the 3000 series.

You can put a bigger cooler on it, but it won't stop the spikes - they'll be a little lower(likely in the 40s), but what you're seeing now isn't dangerous anyway.

TL;DR:
-It's 'high', yet safe.
-You didn't miss anything.
-There's bad chips(poor overclockers), and bad chips(dead).

Mar 15, 2021

Rig:
  • Evga 3080 ftw3
  • Corsair 280x (2 120mm front as intake, 2 120mm bottom as intake, 2 140mm top as output). I also extended the gap on the glass panel, so I think the airflow is pretty decent
Why is it so high? Did I miss something? This is my first cpu swap. I cleaned off previous paste with isopropyl alcohol. Is it possible to get a bad chip? This is bumming me out.
As long as the temperature is not going past 75C, it should be fine. That being said, I would upgrade the CPU cooler to a NH-D15 or a Hyper 212 EVO (depending on how much you want to spend).

Reactions: Robgetsgood

Rig:
  • Evga 3080 ftw3

If you left the preapplied grease on the heatsink fan or water cooler, that would be partially why your system is semi warm or hot.
Remove the grease put for 5 dots of artic mx-4 on the cpu, take your cooler and gently put it on, twist it left & right a little and lock it into place.

When you boot up again, check your uefi bios and should start off at 26c let it sit there for 5 minutes and see if it climbs high.
If not you should be good to go.

Reactions: Robgetsgood
Solution
Mar 16, 2021
Thank you guys so much. I swapped to a 240mm aio (stimulus check). I just remembered people being very impressed with the included coolers, and I thought they would do a decent job (probably error on my part). New temp is 36°, and fans are super quiet.

First time posting on this forum. You guys are awesome.

Reactions: kurdtnz