Question Ryzen 5600X vs 5700X3D vs 5800X3D ?

Apr 12, 2024
Greetings! My current build is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming (rev. 1.x)
PSU: Chieftec Element 600s (600W)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (not overclocked)
GPU: ASUS Dual OC GTX 1060 (6GB)
RAM: 4x8GB HyperX Fury 3200MHz
SSD: HyperX Fury Renegade 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
CPU cooler: LC Power LC-CC-120-RGB (advertised for up to 180 TDP)
Case: MS Industrial Spectrum with 5 Arctic P120 fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust, 1 as 2nd CPU cooler fan-also set as exhaust)

PSU is due to be changed and upgraded for a much more reliable one. I plan on upgrading my GPU as well in the future. Currently I have certain CPU deals offered (all new). I can buy 5700X3D for 185$ or 5800X3D for 252$. Price for the 5600X is roughly 143$.
I have 2560x1440p 170Hz monitor and mostly plan on playing: Europa Universalis 4 (hopefully 5), World of Tanks, Minercraft (original name triggers spam system for some reason), The Outer Worlds, Battlefront 2 (, Hopefully GTA6).

Considering that I do not plan on spending more money on a GPU than 4070 and its counterparts cost (in the future), what would be your CPU recommendation out of those listed here (or any other AM4 CPU that you might deem better)?

If you want, you can give me CPU & GPU combo recommendation.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Greetings! My current build is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming (rev. 1.x)
PSU: Chieftec Element 600s (600W)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (not overclocked)
GPU: ASUS Dual OC GTX 1060 (6GB)
RAM: 4x8GB HyperX Fury 3200MHz
SSD: HyperX Fury Renegade 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
CPU cooler: LC Power LC-CC-120-RGB (advertised for up to 180 TDP)
Case: MS Industrial Spectrum with 5 Arctic P120 fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust, 1 as 2nd CPU cooler fan-also set as exhaust)

PSU is due to be changed and upgraded for much more reliable one. I plan on upgrading my GPU as well in the future. Currently I have certain CPU deals offered (all new). I can buy 5700X3D for 185$ or 5800X3D for 252$. Price for the 5600X is roughly 143$.
I have 2560x1440p 170Hz monitor and mostly plan on playing: Europa Universalis 4 (hopefully 5), World of Tanks, Minercraft (original name triggers spam system for some reason), The Outer Worlds, Battlefront 2 (, Hopefully GTA6).

Considering that I do not plan on spending more money on a GPU than 4070 and its counterparts cost (in the future), what would be your CPU recommendation out of those listed here (or any other AM4 CPU that you might deem better)?

If you want, you can give me CPU & GPU combo recommendation.

Thank you in advance.

5700x3d but also check for its counter part 5700x and see if its cheaper can be usually be found just a few dollars more then the 5600x.

but i agree the 5700x3d is fine.

i would upgrade the motherboard to a b550 board by either asrock gigabyte or asus. ( avoid msi)

main reason you will lose performance on the board for the gpu as its limited to a pci gen 3 slot

Reactions: Zograf and artk2219
it used to be minimal it can be like a 7-10 percent performance loss e.g 10 frames etc depends on the resolution the more textures you push down that narrow pipeline the more it will choke.
as weird as the article that tech power up shows you would be look at the half pci gen 4.0 would be a 3.0x16

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/25.html

at 1440p on witcher its like 10 frames as newer games take advantage of the extra bandwidth the gap will widen.

also recomend a 4070 super its a bit more but offers better performance at a lower power envelope.

Reactions: Zograf

artk2219

Distinguished
Here is the most recent techpowerup scaling test, from about a year ago, its actually even better scaling on average this time around, within 2%.

Here is the most recent techpowerup scaling test, from about a year ago, its actually even better scaling on average this time around, within 2%.

its a interesting read well look into it more still would get a b550 board since companys will eventually stop making them. also other advantage is the pci gen 4 opens up the pci gen 4 nvme speeds which developers might take advantage of because consoles are taking advantage of them.

currently my prediction atm is next few years probly 2025 end onwards games will use 12gb as a standard since cards.

3060 12gb etc and beyond are becoming more in that price range where people will buy them.

i doubt any developer atm is going to develop a game around a 4090 hardware because that alienates like 90 percent of pc gamers lol.

Reactions: artk2219 and Zograf
at 1440p on witcher its like 10 frames as newer games take advantage of the extra bandwidth the gap will widen.
There's three reasons why the video card is using PCIe:
  • To load assets into VRAM, which is limited by the SSD and bulk loads are only done on the initial load anyway, with streaming assets taking less bandwidth.
  • To swap data out of VRAM into system RAM or vice versa, in which case you're in full VRAM situation and you should probably tweak the settings to reduce VRAM pressure
  • The CPU is sending commands to the GPU, but these aren't very large anyway. Sure this might increase as things get more complex, but so far it's not growing at a fast enough rate to matter.
DirectStorage won't make PCIe bandwidth requirements any higher, because it's mostly to address latency bottlenecks in the pipeline of getting compressed assets into VRAM and allowing priority access.

Basically, if you have to access PCIe constantly just keep your game running, something's wrong. To put in another perspective, imagine saying that having your system RAM 100% full all the time is fine, you just need higher storage bandwidth so swaps can be faster.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
its a interesting read well look into it more still would get a b550 board since companys will eventually stop making them. also other advantage is the pci gen 4 opens up the pci gen 4 nvme speeds which developers might take advantage of because consoles are taking advantage of them.

currently my prediction atm is next few years probly 2025 end onwards games will use 12gb as a standard since cards.

3060 12gb etc and beyond are becoming more in that price range where people will buy them.

i doubt any developer atm is going to develop a game around a 4090 hardware because that alienates like 90 percent of pc gamers lol.
I agree its an interesting read, its definitely easier to test than it used to be. In the in the past you could only simulate this if you took some tape and covered the extra contacts. So you turned the card from one operating at x16 into an x8, x4, x2, and x1 pcie device by covering the extra contact pins.

Reactions: Zograf
I agree its an interesting read, its definitely easier to test than it used to be. In the in the past you could only simulate this if you took some tape and covered the extra contacts. So you turned the card from one operating at x16 into an x8, x4, x2, and x1 pcie device by covering the extra contact pins.

yeah kind of funny how we can test more clearly some causes pretty sure as games get larger faster direct storage will be needed especially with texture pop in at least thats what i found with games like Hogwarts legacy or no man sky etc.

As far as cpu, if you have the money I’d say get the 5700x3d for one of the best gaming CPUs for your older am4 board. If that’s not an option, I’d guess a vanilla 5700x isn’t a lot more than the 5600x. So I’d go 5700x as a backup.

For graphics I haven’t read the entire thread but from things I’ve read in the past, for the most part even cards up to like the rtx 3080 or better don’t lose a lot of performance even when running on a pci e Gen 3 slot.

The other thing is replace the chieftec psu with a better unit like a Corsair rm series for example. Maybe spend the extra and get something like the rm850x or a little better for example so that way you’ve got a little extra power and maybe a little room to grow or to carry the psu to another build potentially a couple years down the line. At least the good thing you’ve got going is you have an x370 chipset board so you had a flagship for its time. Hopefully it will continue to hold up and give you a few more years of service.

Reactions: artk2219