Question 5600x with a broken pin, how to make sure whether it's working/can be fixed?

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
I accidentally broke one pin along the edge of the 5600x while trying to straighten a few others that were bent. The pin is at one of the corners of the CPU, and when I managed to correct the others and slot the CPU into the mobo socket for testing, the PC turns on but there is no signal on the display like when the GPU is not inserted properly, etc. The broken pin is diagonally across the corner with the indicator arrow.

Is this typical behavior for a defective CPU or should it show an error in some other way if it's not working because of the broken pin? I see many posts online about people who managed to are having no issue with Ryzen CPUs with one or more broken pins, but I'm not sure if this particular pin I broke is crucial and if so, whether it's possible to fix it. I assumed that the edge pins are the least important and that people break them most often, although it is also possible that the opposite is true.

TLDR: would a CPU with a broken pin manage to boot the PC but then fail to provide the signal to the display, or does the defect manifest in a different way? If a crucial bin was broken, is it possible to fix it easily or is it not worth it?

Here's a pic: View: https://imgur.com/a/dKD2SHF

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

View: https://youtu.be/D_Uq2RaYps0

^ that would mean you can repair it, if you have a steady hand.

would a CPU with a broken pin manage to boot the PC but then fail to provide the signal to the display, or does the defect manifest in a different way?
The processor mentioned in your thread's title does not have an iGPU so you won't get any display out of it. If you were to work with a motherboard that has a compatible BIOS version on it that supports the Ryzen 5 5600x, and you see debug LED's light up or even hear beep codes when you have a POST speaker attached to the board then, the pin that was broken was important.

TLDR: would a CPU with a broken pin manage to boot the PC but then fail to provide the signal to the display, or does the defect manifest in a different way? If a crucial bin was broken, is it possible to fix it easily or is it not worth it?
To answer your question....
Yes, it's possible the PC could boot and yet not operate as expected since there are pins that carry data to PCIe socket for the first GPU. That may be why it doesn't work.

One thing you can do depends on your motherboard: it might have another PCIe x 16 socket on the board that's connected to the CPU through the chipset. You could try plugging a discrete GPU into that socket to see if it functions. But even if it does it might be have reduced performance since a socket connected to the chipset can have severely restricted bandwidth. But at least you can get it working with a display again before deciding whether to attempt the above repair.

Another repair I've seen is to cut a pin off of another scrap CPU and simply drop it into the empty socket on the motherboard. When the CPU is clamped in place by the cooler it will press the pad with the missing pin into the pin in the socket and make contact. It's not ideal but doesn't require the delicate soldering of the other repair. Either repair requires getting hold of a donor CPU, or other source, for a replacement pin.

Last edited:

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Happy New Year!

View: https://youtu.be/D_Uq2RaYps0

^ that would mean you can repair it, if you have a steady hand.

would a CPU with a broken pin manage to boot the PC but then fail to provide the signal to the display, or does the defect manifest in a different way?
The processor mentioned in your thread's title does not have an iGPU so you won't get any display out of it. If you were to work with a motherboard that has a compatible BIOS version on it that supports the Ryzen 5 5600x, and you see debug LED's light up or even hear beep codes when you have a POST speaker attached to the board then, the pin that was broken was important.

Hey thanks for the answer and happy New Year!

I forgot to mention that I do have a GPU and that the PC is working with the new CPU I got as a replacement, this 5600x had some of its pins bent when I was about to sell it and that's when I broke the one at the edge while straightening the others like the dude in the video.

When I replaced the new CPU with 5600x to test it out, the PC did boot and all seemed normal except for the fact that there was no signal on the display, even with the GPU slotted in and connected to the PSU. I didn't have much time to test it as I needed the PC on for work, and that's why I'm wondering if breaking an important pin can result in the PC booting but not establishing the connection with the display somehow, or if the PC wouldn't boot at all when an important pin is missing.

As for the beeps and the LEDs you mentioned, is it the same beeps you hear when rebooting the PC and entering BIOS etc, or something different? Also, where should I watch out for the LEDs? I have a b450 Tomahawk Max mobo.

As for the beeps and the LEDs you mentioned, is it the same beeps you hear when rebooting the PC and entering BIOS etc, or something different? Also, where should I watch out for the LEDs? I have a b450 Tomahawk Max mobo.
There are three or four LED's on the front side of the memory sockets (towards the case front for most cases) that will flash in sequence while the system is booting. There's one for each phase of the POST process that will flash on then off if successful. They're labeled: CPU, RAM, VGA, and BOOT. It should stop at the one where it's unsuccessful at initializing the related device; BOOT means finding a boot partition on an attached drive.