5750 Oven Repair

Michael Hurtle

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Basically i have confirmed for sure that the GPU is on its last legs as it crashes on so many applications and nothing else is conflicting with it. Though because i can use my spare gt 630 for the mean time, i have read some articles that some older GPUs may loosen solder joints. Would it be worth it to test my luck in fixing this thing?
I feel pretty confident that it will work.

I also do know how to remove all the plastics pieces and the heatsink and thermal paste. Though i'm not sure what temperature i should set it to?
Also how much sugar should i use? :D

I don't think I would try to reflow the solder on it if it's just crashing. That trick is usually for cards that are completely dead and you have nothing to lose. If you haven't tried uninstalling the old driver with Display Driver Uninstaller and the reinstalling the new driver, I would try that. You can also try cleaning the cooler and reapply thermal paste and new pads. Also, you might try downclocking the card or increasing the voltage slightly to see if that helps.

Michael Hurtle

Reputable
May 5, 2015

I have already tried rolling back to previous drivers. I have not OCd it at all. i can try to put some new thermal paste on.
The way i got this GPU is from my IT class. i was the student assisstant in there and the teacher didnt want the students to work on a somewhat ok gaming PC
Specs:
q6600
asus p541t-mlx
2x4gb G.skill value series 1333mhz RAM
XFX 5750
Antec Vp 450

I have already tried a different PSU and its not the PSU
I know the GPU is going bad because it doesn't crash only when going under load( it will even crash on something like geometry dash or dolphin), it crashes when the game starts, and i know its not over heating as i have cleaned this system regularly.
i have tried nearly everything and nothing seems to be working, would like to see if this works because with my spare gt 630 i can use until i get my new GPU unless i can fix this GPU

Michael Hurtle

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thank you for the link, i never realized Linus made a video on this.
Im still going to try and test it, and if it still doesn't work than something else is wrong with it and its not worth using.

Michael Hurtle

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thats what i think it could be because it crashes sometimes on not so demanding applications, but is fine when used for web browsing.