5775C - stepping / revision ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Since you opened this can of worms, we'll see how the 'gods' respond. It seems that 18 months later than the start of this post, you have the same stepping as the OP. Have you tried to find your overclocking limit? nothing wrong with want you have, but what's the maximum speed you can get out of 1.35V, for instance?

HowNowBrownCow

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I gotta run to work in a minute, i'll shut it all off while I'm out, but I just this second crashed at 4.3 ghz with 1.41v vin. Temps were topped at 92 C w/ kraken x61 and aftermarket fans. Seems 4.2 ghz is top for quick'n'dirty overclocking, i'll play with BCLK tomorrow and refine my voltage. I was rushing cuz I gotta go to work - I didn't run any stress test long enough to test for full stability, but I figured if it crashed after 10 minutes I could move on to the next level. I think I had 4.2 running at 1.3v or 1.325 for about 10, 15 minutes before moving on to 4.3, which I think I can safely say is out of reach.

Oh I have 32gb ram (g.skill trident running at JDEC i think 1600) - it'll be interesting to see if I can stay stable at 4.2 with the ram at 2400 (or more) mhz. Also I've never found a satisfactory answer about safe ram voltage. Intel says ddr3l 1.35, and I read somewhere credible that 1.5 is fine, but if I want to run at at least xmp it takes 1.65. I guess I'll find out in a few months / years just how bad that will degrade the IMC :D

Tsuface

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I have a 5775c for a while now, had it on a H97 mitx board.
Recently I've migrated to a bigger case (define r5) and an Asus Z97-A atx board to be able to overclock and facilitate SLI.

It's stable now at 4.1Ghz with 1.32v, any lower voltage and it will crash.
I've tried 4.2Ghz with 1.4v though it crashes and I haven't dared to try higher than 1.4v.
For one, because indeed there is little information about rated/max safe voltage.
Even the intel datasheet doesn't say (or I didn't look good enough).
Though also because, at least with my cooler (EVO212), the load temps start creeping up to 90C @ 4.2Ghz/1.4v.

Running my ram (I have DDR3 2400Mhz CL10) at lower than 1.65v seems to help quite a bit with temps and seems stable at quite a bit lower voltage.
But I'm first focussing on a stable CPU overclock using the XMP profile.