[SOLVED] 5800X 3D - don't boot anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2022
So I got the CPU and got it too boot on my x570 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi.
This was a hassle because it did not work at first ant I had the CPU error LED on all the time.

I unplugged everything and let the BIOS flash to the recent version. Slotted everything inside with the new CPU. Did not post, CPU and RAM error LED was on!
I was able to get it to boot after I slotted a 3600 in and let it boot with one RAM stick. After that the 5800x3D was working.
So far so good, set my BIOS how I wanted and BAR enabled. Worked, rebooted and changed to XMP. Worked again , reboot and changed the DRAM voltage to + 0,05 and +200mhz clock
That was normal by the way for the 3900x I had before.

THIS is where the story ends. I cant get anything to post with the CPU now. Different RAM Sticks or back to the process I had done from the start, nothing works. The CPU and the RAM LED are on and nothing happens.
Even without clear CMOS and just changing the CPU, the system will post and go to windows.

Its really frustrating, I just spend 5h to figure out whats wrong. I really think MSI/AMD got some problems with this, had something similar with another older board and CPU when I tried to OC the ram. The recovery processes was also painful there.

Solution
This was a hassle because it did not work at first ant I had the CPU error LED on all the time.

I unplugged everything and let the BIOS flash to the recent version. Slotted everything inside with the new CPU. Did not post, CPU and RAM error LED was on!
I was able to get it to boot after I slotted a 3600 in and let it boot with one RAM stick. After that the 5800x3D was working.
So far so good, set my BIOS how I wanted and BAR enabled. Worked, rebooted and changed to XMP. Worked again , reboot and changed the DRAM voltage to + 0,05 and +200mhz clock

THIS is where the story ends. I cant get anything...

THIS is where the story ends. I cant get anything to post with the CPU now. Different RAM Sticks or back to the process I had done from the start, nothing works. The CPU and the RAM LED are on and nothing happens.
Even without clear CMOS and just changing the CPU, the system will post and go to windows.

Its really frustrating, I just spend 5h to figure out whats wrong. I really think MSI/AMD got some problems with this, had something similar with another older board and CPU when I tried to OC the ram. The recovery processes was also painful there.
try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Try to boot with R5 3600 or any working CPUs/APUs
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios again, then after updating bios go to bios again, shut down, replace cpu, boot up to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: SerpD
Solution
changed the DRAM voltage to + 0,05 and +200mhz clock
The fact that it was normal for 3900 means exactly zero. Different CPU, different values work - even if you were to use another unit of 3900 model. Not to mention it should be harder with 5800 3d as it is considered non-overclockable CPU (and yes that includes more problems with RAM OC too).

Reactions: KyaraM
May 4, 2022
The fact that it was normal for 3900 means exactly zero. Different CPU, different values work - even if you were to use another unit of 3900 model. Not to mention it should be harder with 5800 3d as it is considered non-overclockable CPU (and yes that includes more problems with RAM OC too).
I am fine if the XMP works but right now nothing works.

• Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios again, then after updating bios go to bios again, shut down, replace cpu, boot up to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Thank you I will try that.

May 4, 2022
Clearing CMOS did not let you boot with 5800? But the rest of components work fine because they work with 3900, right? So the only logic conclusion is that your attempt to OC RAM fried 5800 (specifically memory controller).
That's right with CMOS but I highly doubt that the CPU got fried by +0.05v for the DDR.
The doubt is so high that the PC with the 5800x3d is now booting again after I did what @Koekieezz said. I don't know what it was but that fixed the booting problem.

Last edited:
That's right with CMOS but I highly doubt that the CPU got fried by +0.05v for the DDR.
The doubt is so high that the PC with the 5800x is now booting again after I did what @Koekieezz said. I don't know what it was but that fixed the booting problem.
I was suspecting the chipset driver isnt installed or is installed but stuck with 3600/3900x driver, so my way is just a certain waay to "refresh and reinstall" the drivers so that the pc will utilize it propperly. not a fact but im theorizing that sometimes this certain thing does happens waay before your cpu, but more to oc problems and performance drops.

May 4, 2022
I was suspecting the chipset driver isnt installed or is installed but stuck with 3600/3900x driver, so my way is just a certain waay to "refresh and reinstall" the drivers so that the pc will utilize it propperly. not a fact but im theorizing that sometimes this certain thing does happens waay before your cpu, but more to oc problems and performance drops.
Well in that case it wasn't installed. I had a fresh board, fresh windows and a fresh SSD. Its strange to me how it could boot and then just nothing.

I would RMA the 5800X3D. It's so new, that we don't know the failure rates of the 3D-VCache. I suspect it should be next to nothing, just like vanilla Zen 3 CPUs. But you never know.

Also whoever said it might have fried your memory controller might be correct, but it is incredibly doubtful. All AMD boards max out to 1.1v normally when XMP is enabled, and 1.2 is the absolute max for that specific part.

To be frank, it could also be the motherboard. you never know. Are you on a BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.6c? That is absolutely required for 5800X3D support.

May 4, 2022
I would RMA the 5800X3D. It's so new, that we don't know the failure rates of the 3D-VCache. I suspect it should be next to nothing, just like vanilla Zen 3 CPUs. But you never know.

Also whoever said it might have fried your memory controller might be correct, but it is incredibly doubtful. All AMD boards max out to 1.1v normally when XMP is enabled, and 1.2 is the absolute max for that specific part.

To be frank, it could also be the motherboard. you never know. Are you on a BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.6c? That is absolutely required for 5800X3D support.
Yeah that is the BIOS I have on the board. Ofc I did flash the board without any components first before I put the 5800X3D on it.

so, is the pc good up till now?
The MB , SSD and 5800X3D was brand new. My old AM4 board could not support the 5800X3D.
Everything works like it should right now except the annoying new features from WIN10.

But right now because my ram is stuck at 3200mhz with standard timings of CL16-18-18-38 with a miserable latency of 76ns tested with AIDA64 Cache & Memory bench, I am searching for something else.
The PC with all other parts is relatively high end and I tend to play games that are fairly CPU bound. I had an uplift from below 60fps in one title specific on 1440p up to 120 from changing the 3900x to the 5800X3D.
Going for 4000mhz should be possible but I dunno...

Last edited:
The MB , SSD and 5800X3D was brand new. My old AM4 board could not support the 5800X3D.
Everything works like it should right now except the annoying new features from WIN10.

But right now because my ram is stuck at 3200mhz with standard timings of CL16-18-18-38 with a miserable latency of 76ns tested with AIDA64 Cache & Memory bench, I am searching for something else.
The PC with all other parts is relatively high end and I tend to play games that are fairly CPU bound. I had an uplift from below 60fps in one title specific on 1440p up to 120 from changing the 3900x to the 5800X3D.
Going for 4000mhz should be possible but I dunno...
So i assume everything worked up real fine until now.

I would like to tell you that all 5000 series CPU (not APU) would take a hit and miss for 4000mhz, most of them are going to be capped at 3866~3933mhz. 4000mhz IF you got that lucky bin, keep in mind that the I/O die are the exact same as the one from Zen 2 (still 12nm, fabbed by GloFo), one of the reason of why i can do 4000mhz above (yes, the UCLK is the one that holding back, not FCLK).

on 5000G side, i did 4133 CL18 + tight subtimings really easy on a Hynix DJR kit (3rd best after samsung b die and micron rev. e) with no errors, since it's basically a laptop CPU (which is a real good bin, cause it's' laptop XD), chugged on a cpu package, and keep in mind that the design architechture is different, its a monolithic design (all in one like intel) with Zen 3 cores in it, which is practically the best CPU in mind since it got lower latency, better thermals (my friend did passive cooling using NT-U12 no fans at all, just case fans), and sometimes it's alot more cheaper. But the drawbacks are the cache are halved (again, it's a laptop chip) and the pcie only caps at gen 3 (if you do need gen 4). Otherwise it's a really good chip for ram tuner, i've seen lots doing over 4266++ at 1:1:1 with a very reasonable and normal voltage.

But honestly faster ram didnt do much good on Zen3 as if in Zen2 (due to architechture) if your aim was gaming only. i would probably like to buy a cheap good kit with hynix djr rams on it, rated at 3600 c18, then pretty much tighten the timings to 16-19-19-36 (most recent hynix djr and cjr COULD do this easy as i did with no struggle at all), and pretty much tighten the subtimings, OR oc it to 3800/3866 (till it caps, depends on the desired ram voltage you do want) then fine tune the timings.

Reactions: SerpD
May 4, 2022
But honestly faster ram didnt do much good on Zen3 as if in Zen2 (due to architechture) if your aim was gaming only. i would probably like to buy a cheap good kit with hynix djr rams on it, rated at 3600 c18, then pretty much tighten the timings to 16-19-19-36 (most recent hynix djr and cjr COULD do this easy as i did with no struggle at all), and pretty much tighten the subtimings, OR oc it to 3800/3866 (till it caps, depends on the desired ram voltage you do want) then fine tune the timings.
I bought a DDR4-4000, CL16-16-16-36. This RAM to be precise F4-4000C16D-32GVKA. IF the speed does not work I am certain that I can clock it down with tighter timings. There was this DDR4-3600, CL14-15-15-35 F4-3600C14D-32GVK also but the price difference is 10€. My guess is that I could clock it to the same timings, this should be B-dies.
I will do a bit more then gaming. I had the 3900x and 64gb RAM for video editing but I wont do that much anymore. I also found out that the 5800x is better then the 3900x for what I specifically do for the edits.

I am still not sure if my CPU is good or not because it gets really hot if I stress test it with prime 95. Up to 90,4°C after 1,20min and its water cooled. The cooler is used by me for 12 years now and it never let me down. Water temp is @28°c so something is wrong with the contact but everything looks good.
The only thing that could be faulty at this point is a bad headspreader, I think.

I bought a DDR4-4000, CL16-16-16-36. This RAM to be precise F4-4000C16D-32GVKA. IF the speed does not work I am certain that I can clock it down with tighter timings. There was this DDR4-3600, CL14-15-15-35 F4-3600C14D-32GVK also but the price difference is 10€. My guess is that I could clock it to the same timings, this should be B-dies.
I will do a bit more then gaming. I had the 3900x and 64gb RAM for video editing but I wont do that much anymore. I also found out that the 5800x is better then the 3900x for what I specifically do for the edits.

I am still not sure if my CPU is good or not because it gets really hot if I stress test it with prime 95. Up to 90,4°C after 1,20min and its water cooled. The cooler is used by me for 12 years now and it never let me down. Water temp is @28°c so something is wrong with the contact but everything looks good.
The only thing that could be faulty at this point is a bad headspreader, I think.
keep in mind that 5800X3D use an additional SRAM slab above the L3 cache, which why it could cause the more temp increase. but i myself would like to try it with a good tower cooler and see if it performed good in temps.

if you bought the 4000mhz 16-16-16-36 ones, you could just enable the xmp, and down clock it to anything below it. should work.

Oct 6, 2022
    unknown.png

unknown.png
    unknown.png

unknown.png

You are a GOD man, your advice was truly a lifesaver.
I could not get my brand new 5800x3d to boot on my MSI X570 Tomahawk system with a 3950x , even after updating to the latest BIOs. I was truly confused and thought I had to go back to the store to return the CPU for another one, or to ask them to test it at the store. I followed your advice to a tee and I was so happy when I got the 5800x3d to boot through following to the middle of your guide, after I reflashed the BIOs, switched off the system and immediately swapped out my 3950x with the 5800x3d. You saved me from having a buy another motherboard and days of time running to and from the store!

Reactions: Koekieezz
Status
Not open for further replies.