Question 5800x bottleneck 4070ti

Ali Khalid

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Hi i have amd 5800x with 32gb 3600mhz rams i bought a 4070ti few days back i asked on this forum will it bottleneck my cpu on 1440p 180hz but most of guys told me it work fine but it is giving me less frame then 3090.
Now in call of duty warzone my cpu usgae is around 80% while my gpu usage is only around 45 to 50% same happens in battlefield 2042 i played these games mostly

Does this count in bottleneck?

Now i have a option to upgrade to a 5800x3d with little difference

Second i go to 7700x on am5 which is quite expensive i could get in few months

What should i do now do i go to 5800x3d or wait few months for 7700x with new mobo and rams?

Ali Khalid

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
All systems have bottlenecks. All of them.

Aside from benchmarking comparison concerns, are you having any playability issues?

Are your AMD chipset drivers up to date? Same question for motherboard BIOS?
Yes i have 3090 it gives me more fps in warzone and battlefield but it got very old high temps that why i changed it to 4070ti

I have no idea what amd chipset drivers i have and same for motherboard

BIOS updates can be found here:

Remove those CPU overclock settings. See how your performance is at stock speeds.

You can also use Ryzen Master to apply more dynamic OC settings. But I think you really need to ensure you have a solid baseline before OCing anything.
Agree with this. The best way to overclock Ryzen is to not overclock (yes, curve optimizers and undervolting is a thing but best keep things simple). Stock settings should be fine for anything the average gamer is doing. As for utilization percentages, CPU is always an aggregate score if you are using Task Manager (in its default mode) or NVIDIA overlay. Task Manager can give you per core utilization under the Performance tab, CPU, then right click the graph and choose "Logical Processors" in "Change Graph to". This will give you a much better understanding of what your CPU is doing. There is very likely one or two cores pegged at 100% while the rest idle or handle background tasks. This is normal. And as COLGeek said, EVERY system has a bottleneck. Concern yourself more about having a healthy system, with up to date drivers and Operating System. Be smart, educate youself on PC maintenance, and don't pull out the parts cannon, there's probably performance left on the table with your current build. (How's that case airflow? You mention heat but nothing you've done to alleviate the situation)

Reactions: Ali Khalid

Ali Khalid

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Agree with this. The best way to overclock Ryzen is to not overclock (yes, curve optimizers and undervolting is a thing but best keep things simple). Stock settings should be fine for anything the average gamer is doing. As for utilization percentages, CPU is always an aggregate score if you are using Task Manager (in its default mode) or NVIDIA overlay. Task Manager can give you per core utilization under the Performance tab, CPU, then right click the graph and choose "Logical Processors" in "Change Graph to". This will give you a much better understanding of what your CPU is doing. There is very likely one or two cores pegged at 100% while the rest idle or handle background tasks. This is normal. And as COLGeek said, EVERY system has a bottleneck. Concern yourself more about having a healthy system, with up to date drivers and Operating System. Be smart, educate youself on PC maintenance, and don't pull out the parts cannon, there's probably performance left on the table with your current build. (How's that case airflow? You mention heat but nothing you've done to alleviate the situation)
Thank for help i think i first set everything to default and update my drives and bios and check difference my 3090 was reaching about 85c while same 4070ti is remaining on 70 to 72c on full load when gpu is 100% i changed thermal paste and pads few time but nothing work even undervolting keep it on 82 but i need to change the gpu so i swap 3090 with some cash back and got a 4070ti

The 4070 Ti is close enough to the 3090 in performance that if your 3090 had high power limits it could be the same speed potentially slightly faster.

As for your initial question regarding usage high CPU with lower GPU is generally the sign of a CPU bottleneck. DRAM can also enter into the equation, but I'm not sure you'd be able to get a decent deal on good enough DDR4 today if that was the problem. A 5800X3D would have a very large impact on performance when CPU bottlenecked and its performance level is right around the 7600X for gaming.

Whether you should buy something now or not really comes down to the cost and availability in your region. The new AMD 9000 series CPUs are coming very soon which if nothing else may serve to drop the 7000 series pricing. Intel's Arrow Lake should launch before the end of the year as well so there will be plenty of competition which may make sense to look at, or as I mentioned lower prices on existing products.

Reactions: Ali Khalid