Question 5800x idle at 91 degrees

L10YD357

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
Yes, you read the title correctly.

cpu: ryzen 5800x
cooler: msi mag 240r aio
mobo: asus b550-a gaming

i have my cpu running stupidly hot. stock settings. idles at 55 degrees on desktop, ramps up to 90 whilst gaming but then it doesnt cool back down once i close the game. i'm on windows 11 so maybe a bug?

temp being monitored with open hardware monitor, bios and ryzen master - all have the high temps

have reseated the cpu and cooler with new thermal paste (Corsair TM30) after having a BSOD and bios stating: CPU Over temperature error.

have desabled PBO also but no difference

not sure what next to do. go back to windows 10 and see if that helps, rma cpu or new cooler.

any helps would eb appreciated, thanks.

L10YD357

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
How old is the AIO?

Did the issue only start to occur post-W11 "upgrade"?
Bought cooler around August last year. Pump still runs as I can feel the vibrations on the tubes.

In regards to the upgrade, I'm not sure to be honest. I upgraded as soon as w11 was public but issue has only come to light in the past week.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Bought cooler around August last year. Pump still runs as I can feel the vibrations on the tubes.

The pump "running", unfortunately doesn't mean too much if there's a flaw with the cooler. Haven't heard any widespread issues, but the OEM is Apaltek so it wouldn't be unheard of (albeit unlikely) to have another coolant issue like they did with the Enermax fiasco a few years ago.

If you're confident in the mount, the paste and the pump..... Unless:
the CPU is being overvolted (intentionally or not)
Or
You have the cooler in a case (or location) starved of airflow

I would be RMA'ing that cooler if it were me.

Reactions: Makaveli

zx128k

Reputable
Check for the stupid stuff first, is the cooler on tight and is there enough thermal paste on the heat spreader? etc and so on. I once put the cooler on without thermal paste. Its funny what you can forget to do.