[SOLVED] 5800X overclock worth it?

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
I played around with OC'ing it and was only able to get it stable at around 4.65ghz. Which seems to be what some people have been able to achieve. Max of 4.7 usually.

For someone who only games is this small of a change really worth it when I'm holding back my single core performance by a bit? I've seen many people across forums saying it's not worth to OC it for gamers.

I'm pretty new to overclocking and looking for some opinions and if you can educate me that'd be even better. Thanks.

Solution
Yeah I'm not gonna do any manual OC any longer and just try out PBO 2.0 whenever the BIOS update that supports it is out on my mobo. I've heard PBO as it is now is fairly ineffective?
If you enable and leave it on auto, it's effective enough although some parts of manual settings don't change anything (yet). New AGESA code, 1190 is already at manufacturers, should have BIOS with it very soon.
I played around with OC'ing it and was only able to get it stable at around 4.65ghz. Which seems to be what some people have been able to achieve. Max of 4.7 usually.

For someone who only games is this small of a change really worth it when I'm holding back my single core performance by a bit? I've seen many people across forums saying it's not worth to OC it for gamers.

I'm pretty new to overclocking and looking for some opinions and if you can educate me that'd be even better. Thanks.
With that much of OC you are neither loosing or gaining any that would be visible in games, single or multi core performance against PBO boost. Might as well use auto settings with some added control of voltage and keeping it as cool as possible.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

Overall, you'll gain about 2-4% in multi-core but will lose about 1% in single-core. You probably won't feel the single core loss. And you'll see maybe a few fps increase here and there for gaming. Overall it's not worth it for performance boost.

BUT - as you probably know by now, the 5800x runs hot. So OCing to 4.65ghz or lower will decrease your temperatures by a lot (as your set voltage is lower than when it's on turbo at full loads you will get lower temps).

AMD already stated that these chips run hot but as intended, so we got nothing to worry about. But I still rather have them run cooler and my fan curves don't need to drastically be adjusted. I personally adjusted my case fan curves but I don't want to touch my CPU fan cooler curve. I rather leave it at default and still not go all crazy and loud during gaming.

I personally OC my 5800x to 4.65ghz at 1.312V (I could go lower, haven't played with voltages much really) using Ryzen Master for when I game only. I get 10-15C lower and always under 70s. I'm actually usually below 65C which is on par with my old trusted ryzen 5 3600. When I don't game, I leave it on stock.

Also disable your PBO or leave it at auto if it is already on auto. Online reports show that current bios versions (for majority of motherboards) make the new ryzen 5000 crash with or without bsods. And if yours crashes on idle then disable c-states in bios. Happened to me on my MSI board, disabled both and now I have no issues. I would recommend not to play with PBO/PBO2 until they get some stable bios versions for the new ryzens.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
With that much of OC you are neither loosing or gaining any that would be visible in games, single or multi core performance against PBO boost. Might as well use auto settings with some added control of voltage and keeping it as cool as possible.
Yeah I'm not gonna do any manual OC any longer and just try out PBO 2.0 whenever the BIOS update that supports it is out on my mobo. I've heard PBO as it is now is fairly ineffective?

If you enable and leave it on auto, it's effective enough although some parts of manual settings don't change anything (yet). New AGESA code, 1190 is already at manufacturers, should have BIOS with it very soon.

Solution

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

It's been known that auto = disabled (maybe could vary depending on motherboard) If you actually want to enable it then you choose "enabled" not auto.

Eitherway PBO is very unstable with the current agesa versions. It causes instability for plenty of people including myself. I would recommend to leave it off until they release version 1.1.9.0. Obviously you can try it, if it works then it works. But gains are minimal, if any at all.

I don't have one but have friends with 5900x and 5950x PBO working and in both cases some get over 5GHz at one core. On the other hand, PBO may not help as much with Zen3 as scores with it turned on and set best are within couple % over just boost. Hope new AGESA fixes that too.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I don't have one but have friends with 5900x and 5950x PBO working and in both cases some get over 5GHz at one core. On the other hand, PBO may not help as much with Zen3 as scores with it turned on and set best are within couple % over just boost. Hope new AGESA fixes that too.

Maybe they won the silicon lottery.

My 5800x boosts up to 4.85ghz whether PBO off or not. And on cinebench 20, multi core scores MAYBE increases by 50 points. (why I am saying maybe it's because I don't know the exact number as everytime I run it, pbo on or off, my scores aren't always identical. Sometimes I'm the the 6100s, sometimes in the 6000s, so it's hard to say, but minimal gains for me).

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Msi released new beta bios. Not sure about the rest. I will try it today and report with results.
If you are talking about 1.1.1.0 patch D beta that was released on December 10 then (for my MSI board). I can tell you that PBO is unstable during gaming for ME.

They are releasing 1.1.9. 0 in the next 2 months btw.

Hope it works for you.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Already did. Because I see more value for extra $100 over 5800x. Extra 4 cores and 8 threads seems like a no brainer.

Makes sense. In Canada it's $130, plus I got 20 bucks discount so for me it would of been $150 difference, and that's without the 13% tax. So cost wise I don't think it was worth it for me here. Plus I don't really need the extra cores for my use. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the 5800x.

Also stock wise it's hard to get a 5900x or a 5600x lol.

madchemist83

Distinguished
I agree with stock, I just happened to get 5900x couple weeks after 5800x so it was an easy swap. Had some bad ram and had to switch that as well.
5900x does heat up a bit more but right now I have it on constant 1.25V at 4.2 ghz. Didn't really like PBO spiking to 1.5V. With new bios will try to work on PPT, TDC and EDC optimization as well as curve optimizer. Ryzen Master helps a bit to get through initial hurdles.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I agree with stock, I just happened to get 5900x couple weeks after 5800x so it was an easy swap. Had some bad ram and had to switch that as well.
5900x does heat up a bit more but right now I have it on constant 1.25V at 4.2 ghz. Didn't really like PBO spiking to 1.5V. With new bios will try to work on PPT, TDC and EDC optimization as well as curve optimizer. Ryzen Master helps a bit to get through initial hurdles.

I heard the 5800x is hotter than the 5900x but there were more reports on the 5800x. I guess it's not really true then.