[SOLVED] 5800x temps on air cooler

sworga

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
so i recently upgraded my cpu to 5800x and i understand that it runs a little hot. i was just wondering if my temps were normal for air cooler, min. 41-51(idle), max 90(benchmarking) on a Noctua NH-U9S. the case is corsair carbide 100r and only consist of 2 stock fans it comes with currently.

Solution
the problem is my case which has the restriction of 150mm height and only has room for 1 fan up-front, otherwise i would've gone with those. i'll try and see if i can get better case and cooler. thank you.
Restricted case size is a good application for liquid cooling. I have the same problem with limited room for a large air cooler so I wound up putting a 120mm AIO on the back fan slot and it took care of CPU cooling (I have an R7-1700 OC'd at 3.9Ghz/1.35V). Before I was also using an NH-U9S (also to fit) but even with 2 fans it simply wouldn't cut it. CPU temps were in the 90's while Folding.

If you can remove some of the drive bays in that case you might could fit a 240mm radiator in front. That would be ideal; second choice...
For that cooler it's probably about right. But a 5800X really needs more cooler so temps at heavy loads stay mid-70's to low-80's. One with 120mm fans at least, U12S or U12D, or preferably a NH-U14 with 140mm. Be Quiet! and Scythe also make some excellent coolers that are just as silent but usually considerably cheaper.

And more fans in the case. You can get by with less ventilation with liquid cooling if the radiator is front mounted. But air coolers absolutely requires good ventilation so it doesn't end up circulating hot air and killing it's effectiveness. More fans also lets you spin them slower to minimize their noise. I'd go 2 in front, two in top and one rear.

Last edited:

sworga

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
the problem is my case which has the restriction of 150mm height and only has room for 1 fan up-front, otherwise i would've gone with those. i'll try and see if i can get better case and cooler. thank you.

Restricted case size is a good application for liquid cooling. I have the same problem with limited room for a large air cooler so I wound up putting a 120mm AIO on the back fan slot and it took care of CPU cooling (I have an R7-1700 OC'd at 3.9Ghz/1.35V). Before I was also using an NH-U9S (also to fit) but even with 2 fans it simply wouldn't cut it. CPU temps were in the 90's while Folding.

If you can remove some of the drive bays in that case you might could fit a 240mm radiator in front. That would be ideal; second choice would be a 240mm AIO in top (looks like there's space) that should still work wonders. 3rd choice would be a 120mm AIO in back.

Otherwise, with limited cooling options you might be about as good as you can get. I'm not sure there are any other decent air coolers that fit in a 150mm height restriction.

Last edited:
Solution