[SOLVED] 5800X3D

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Hi guys i just upgraded my 5600X for a 5800X3D and just wondering if my Temps are normal? ive read that the chip can run higher and compared to my 5600X seems to be a good 10-15 degrees more in all situations.

Idle is usually around 42-45 degrees, While gaming can be anywhere from 60-77 was the highest on one game i have seen, The average seems around 65 to 70(Borderlands3). I have looked into PBO2 to undervolt it but id rather just leave it if these are within normal range.

Im using a MSI mag 240R and it kept my 5600X 30-35 IDLE and gaming usually never ever topped 65.

Im loving the Boost to games though and i understand its alot more powerful CPU, are these designed to run alot hotter? I've also not benchmarked or stress tested it. Just find it annoying with my Fan Curve kicking in alot. Case fans are around 70-75% under gaming load.

Solution
I'm using the same cpu and you're fine. Mine has about the same temps. It just seems high at idle, but load temps are more what you should look at and it might even go to or near 90C when doing R23 for instance.

DavidM012

Distinguished
normal. Designed to run hotter? More like they simply do run hotter because of the 3d vcache. 5800x3d is still a zen 3 chip with zen 3 architecture and the same thermal limits as a 5800x and merely utilizes some of the excess thermal capacity to host the vcache so essentially it runs nearer the limit. Zen 3 + vcache = warmer chip. Tjmax of 5800x / 5800x3d are both 90c so it's using more of the thermal capacity rather than being designed to sink more heat than a standard zen 3 cpu.

Put another way the Zen 3 could sink more heat than it needed to (with an appropriate cooler attached) so amd had room to put the vcache in and use some more of that capacity.

Could throw money at ways of cooling it more, like a dual radiator custom loop or other innovations that would be more dollars than is needed.

After all if you dwelt near a river you could pump water through pipes around your cpu block and radiator which would be pretty amazing but a quiet pump that could pump water along 50m of pipes would cost da bomb. It's possible but not really practical. Then you might need some insulation on your mobo and stuff if river water was 10-15c and sub ambient temperature in order to prevent condensation.

As an interesting side note, sea water is used to cool some forms of submersible server racks. The cooling solution was essentially drop it in the cold ocean. splosh.

Well you can get a 4 star freezer for £99 from currys but you can't get a custom 'thermal regulator' for a pc unless you're an engineer that could build one.

Last edited:

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Hi just an update. I've looked into undervolting and I actually found a setting called kombo strike in my MSI bios. Default, 1 2 and 3. I read that 3 actually undervolts it -30 while no real performance difference it also shaves off 10 degrees thermals in most instances. Ofc I'm just saying what I've read up on it. But it has worked at lowering my idle and most games by 8 to 10 degrees! Testing stability pending but so far so good.

Reactions: Vic 40