Question 5900X AVX loads and temps

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Hey, was testing my 5900X under an NH-D15, and with CB R23 or Aida64 I can't push it past 72C on the hardest tests, which is good.

But there is a game (Midnight Suns), which during saving, briefly (2 or 3 seconds) pushes it to 84. So I tested with prime95 AVX on a few cores (1-3) only and doing this pushes my CPU to 90, pegged. Doing AVX test on all cores moves it back down to 70.

Is this normal? Is my cooler badly installed?

TL;DR my question: can single core heavy AVX loads push the Tctl temp of a 5900X well beyond what a good cooler can handle?

if you use only few cores, core frequency is much higher then with all core load, same goes with voltage difference, voltages are higher to support stable higher frequency on low core load
CPU overclocks itself, it should stay within its defined 142watt PPT
you can tweak voltages with curve optimiser, reducing voltage will reduce heat, by how much, that depends on silicon lottery

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
if you use only few cores, core frequency is much higher then with all core load, same goes with voltage difference, voltages are higher to support stable higher frequency on low core load
CPU overclocks itself, it should stay within its defined 142watt PPT
you can tweak voltages with curve optimiser, reducing voltage will reduce heat, by how much, that depends on silicon lottery
I'm running everything stock. My current temps are nothing to worry about? I was just surprised I could find a scenario in which it hit 90, even though it is a synthetic one.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Ryzen reports the CPU temperature as the hottest temperature in the CPU as opposed to say an average temperature. Using fewer cores allows the CPU to boost them much higher, which means those cores are going to be much hotter than the rest of the processor.
So is what I see normal? Even with a beefy cooler?