[SOLVED] 5900x Overheating and shutting down.

Mar 13, 2022
Hey all,

So I am not sure when this started happening but in the last week or two, I noticed it.
The fans on my CPU Cooler (MSI 240mm Core Liquid) started to spin up more than normal, I presumed maybe a bit of dust, it's been a while since I get it a good clean.
After giving a quick dusting and looking around it wasn't too bad definitely not enough to make it need to kick into high gear.

My PC started to crash every so often when I tried to put it to sleep, I can't remember what it said off the top of my head but it was along the lines of CPU temp to hot and it would just restart.
I had my CPU overclocked to 4.6Ghz @ 1.31v it has been like this for months no issues, all games, all stress tests my overclock was fine. And anytime I checked temps in games or under load, it would be at 60 - 65c
I am sure it went into the 70s every now and then, I didn't really watch it after the first few days of my overclock, but in the last week it's been hitting high 70s - 80s and in the last day or two its no hitting 90s.

I took the CPU out and reseated it, I applied fresh paste and put the cooler back on. Idle temps are around 40 - 50c which isn't bad. The second I start doing something though, like gaming it jumps to the high 70s - 80s which has never been the case for me before.
The main game I play at the moment is POE (Path of Exile) and It's a resource hog, it defo pushes the CPU but was never an issue before and I run this game on an i5 6600k for years, killed that poor CPU but it done fine.

I have put all settings down as far as they can and I turn off engine multithreading (stopping the game from using more than one core) the game runs away fine on the 5900x but it is still quite hot. If I turn back on the engine multithreading and I run in the game to fast killing stuff nearly every time the CPU overheats and kills the power.
I have reverted back to all default bios settings and tested without the OC and still no change, running hot and killing the power. I am putting this down to the pump giving out? or at least not running effectively.
Off the top of my head, I haven't changed anything in the last few weeks. My PC is the same but now having temp issues, I have never really had this issue before so I don't really know all the areas that can affect the CPU but to me, the pump is the
most likely cause?

Either way, I have ordered a new one for testing. I got the Corsair iCue H150i (Should have it around the 22nd), so if this solves the heating issue then I would say problem solved if not well then I have no clue :(
Any help or ideas for testing other potential issues is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Full Specs

Ryzen 9 5900x
Asus rog strix x570-e
32GB Corsair ram
Zotac AMP Extreme 1070
Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Mar 13, 2022
Wow, that was a fast solution thanks hahaha.
So would the recall be done through amazon where I bought it or directly with MSI? I presume Amazon right?

Thanks for this :D