Question 5950x running at 90c!

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
So I upgraded from the ryzen 3900 to the 5950x approx 2 months ago..

When I made the change I ran ryzen master, corsair software to monitor aio temps for about 2-3 weeks to monitor the temps etc and everything was fine I think under stress it was about 75-80c and idle around 55c.

Yesterday for the first time one of my ssds failed! I was editing and the drive literally just disappeared, I found in back in disk manager however in order to initialise it I had to format it! So I lost all my data. To be honest I only had spiderman installed on there! So it wasn't the end of the world! After formatting it I then proceeded to install spider man back on there to which it stopped writing after half way in and the drive disappeared again and this time it wouldn't come back in disk manager.

I had to open my computer and I unplugged and plugged the power and sata cable back in but again it wasn't found. So in the end as it still under warranty I took out the drive.

When turning on the pc after taking out the drive, I realised why is my fans on so loud then I ran ryzen master and realised as soon as I boot my pc it was hitting 85c just sat in idle! Open a few games it was hitting 90c and it actually shut down due to overheating.

So I am actually now very confused because when I opened the pc I only removed the drive. I didn't touch the cooling system or anything.

My pc is acting very erratically. Upon first boot in the bios settings the cpu temp is around 75c! Which is used to be around 55/60c

I tried a few games and the temps are going into 90c, sometimes whilst on idle on the desktop not doing anything it did go to 55c but upon opening any task the temp just spikes to 85c+ causing the fans to go very loud.

I have also changed the thermal paste in order to try and resolve this matter but it's still behaving the same.

The pump is vibrating and the tubes are 1 hot 1 cold so I am confident that the pump is working. Corsair showing coolent temp around 33/34c but cpu temp is around 85c plus. Running corsair in balanced. Only in extreme I can bring the temps down to 75-79c in full load.

However Iv never had to run my corsair cooler in extreme in the 2 years I have had my pc built.

It has kept temps around 65-70c in balanced or a custom fan curve without sounding like a turbo jet taking off.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cinembench temps around 85c

What cooler is it? All I know that its a some sort of Corsair AIO.

If its a h100i of some sort, thats not unexpected, the 5950x does run a bit warm as it has a much more aggressive PBO (Turbo) than last gen, Also you did put thermal paste on it right, replace and put some new stuff on it?

The 5000 series is also designed to run as fast as it can up until 90C of course to AMD's or the motherboards set limit, So even a bigger cooler you might still see higher temps as it might still boost even higher, 90C wont hurt it but its not ideal of course.

Make sure the cooler is mounted properly, and I hope you used new and enough thermal paste, and the coolers fans are working.

Good Luck!

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, having one hot, one cold tube is a definite sign that it's not working. The magnitude of cooling is not high, an AIO works because of the flow. It's not an air conditioner. In a functioning AIO, the difference between the tubes should only be a couple of degrees Celsius.

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
What cooler is it? All I know that its a some sort of Corsair AIO.

If its a h100i of some sort, thats not unexpected, the 5950x does run a bit warm as it has a much more aggressive PBO (Turbo) than last gen, Also you did put thermal paste on it right, replace and put some new stuff on it?

The 5000 series is also designed to run as fast as it can up until 90C of course to AMD's or the motherboards set limit, So even a bigger cooler you might still see higher temps as it might still boost even higher, 90C wont hurt it but its not ideal of course.

Make sure the cooler is mounted properly, and I hope you used new and enough thermal paste, and the coolers fans are working.

Good Luck!
Hello There, Yes is it the H100i,
so up until i took the non functioning SSD out my pc was running almost Silently, after i took out the SSD i noticed the fans coming on loud then i proceeded to check Ryzen master and found the high temp spikes, please note i only changed the thermal paste after 2 hours of testing the current configuration which has been running fine for the last 3 months the only change that happened was the SSD failed so i had to open the computer to get out the non functioning part.

after 2 hours of trying to diagnose the fault, i took off the cooler block, cleaned it as well as the CPU and then put on new thermal paste, but again it behaved the same, i do remember when i put the 5950x in the PC it never spiked to 90c otherwise i would have been querying this back then, i ran ryzen master for approx 2-3 weeks after installing the new CPU, what i dont understand is sometimes on my pc when it is idle sometimes the temps do go down the 55c, however as soon as i click a task it shoots to 85-90c, iv never seen that behaviour before on this CPU in the last 2-3 months that i have had it.

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Must provide PC specs...

Yeah - no, that's not how a proper flowing unit is supposed to be. It shouldn't be very noticeable at all.
ASus Prime X570 pro mobo
4 * 16Gb Corsair RGB ram
5950x
H100i Cooler White
Case Meshifi c White
RTX 3070
Corsair PSU 850 Watt.

iv had my pc built for 2 -3 years and it has been very silent, iv even edited premiere pro videos on it on a zero fan curve and the temps have never spiked to 90c!
so im just confused as to what is going on!

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Yup, having one hot, one cold tube is a definite sign that it's not working. The magnitude of cooling is not high, an AIO works because of the flow. It's not an air conditioner. In a functioning AIO, the difference between the tubes should only be a couple of degrees Celsius.
ok i will double check, corsair software is showing all the RPMS of the fan and pump so i assume it is working ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ASus Prime X570 pro mobo
4 * 16Gb Corsair RGB ram
5950x
H100i Cooler White
Case Meshifi c White
RTX 3070
Corsair PSU 850 Watt.

iv had my pc built for 2 -3 years and it has been very silent, iv even edited premiere pro videos on it on a zero fan curve and the temps have never spiked to 90c!
so im just confused as to what is going on!
It's one of the major cons with AIO/CLCs: they degrade over time - gunk up with organics and other nasty chemical reactions. The flow of fluid is slowly strangled, and the flow isn't very strong in these to begin with(compared to custom loop).
Pump rpm readings don't tell jack regarding how well the liquid is moving.
Most units in the current market are not user-serviceable - some recent units are refillable/can be flushed, but it merely delays the inevitable due to the mixing of metals(copper cold plate + aluminum radiator = galvanic corrosion).

I try to warn others aiming for these coolers to opt for a backup cooler, as it's just a matter of when AIO/CLCs fail or start failing.
There's few ways to troubleshoot these coolers, with using a different cooler being the most concise method.
Some folks get 'em, plug-n-play... things go south, and they're just stuck because there isn't another cooler on hand to use... which brings up another con: cost, because you're essentially buying two or more coolers.

Prepare to replace that H100i and buy an air cooler too as a backup.

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Hello Yes i understand the pump or aio might be failing, however its just the timing of it, what are the chances of me opening up the pc to take out the faulty SSD and then when i closed the pc and turned it on the fans started ramping up. i am going to the shop today to return the faulty SSD i am from the UK and live close to Scan computers, so i am going to pick up a h100i capellex as well,

also i wanted to ask could a software in the background cause the CPU to spike as well? i cant find anything in task manager showing high usage though

however when i click google chrome, or open up premiere pro the CPU just spikes to 85c + and fans ramp up, this never used to happen before, i could open up as many programmes as possible and the fans never ramped up, i remember once i exported a video and it did it in complete silence, and i was thinking wow!

i wonder if i get the new pump if the temps will still spike?

im thinking of doing 2 tests

1 i have still got my old processer the 3900x, put that back in with the original AIO and see what temps i get, if the temps remain in the 70s under load then it could be the new 5950x developing a fault or something,

if the temps still remain high then its definatly the AIO failing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hello Yes i understand the pump or aio might be failing, however its just the timing of it, what are the chances of me opening up the pc to take out the faulty SSD and then when i closed the pc and turned it on the fans started ramping up. i am going to the shop today to return the faulty SSD i am from the UK and live close to Scan computers, so i am going to pick up a h100i capellex as well,

also i wanted to ask could a software in the background cause the CPU to spike as well? i cant find anything in task manager showing high usage though

however when i click google chrome, or open up premiere pro the CPU just spikes to 85c + and fans ramp up, this never used to happen before, i could open up as many programmes as possible and the fans never ramped up, i remember once i exported a video and it did it in complete silence, and i was thinking wow!

i wonder if i get the new pump if the temps will still spike?

im thinking of doing 2 tests

1 i have still got my old processer the 3900x, put that back in with the original AIO and see what temps i get, if the temps remain in the 70s under load then it could be the new 5950x developing a fault or something,

if the temps still remain high then its definatly the AIO failing.
1)Freak incident out of a normal process. Nothing should've happened from just removing an SSD...

2)The OS is software. You can't avoid spikes. To not have any is to have an OS that doesn't work.
You're not going to notice anything in Task Manager if you look at cpu utility as a whole.

3)Sounds like you bumped or indirectly shook the cooler loose when getting that SSD out, IDK...

4)Design an OS that doesn't run in the background, and you'll be spike free... but also not be able to do anything.

5)The test might reveal something extra.

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
ok thank you, stay tuned over the next couple of days i will do this test, as an editor i cant afford much downtime on my pc, however i also cannot afford it running close to 90c either!!!!

thank you everyone for your help so far

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Right guys quick update, i have put in my 3900XT back in the socket and under load its hitting 85-93c!!! i have had this processer for the last 1.5 years and it never hit those temps! as the fans never ramped up, however as explained after taking out the SSD the fans started ramping up which caused me to check ryzen master to see temps of 85-90c ish on the 5950x.

when idling it does go back down to around 62c, i spoke to my friend who has a similar build with the 5900x who has said his idle temps are around 45c and gaming under load around 75c which seem a bit more reasonable to me.

i have a another Corsair H100i AIO on order from Scan which i am going to pick up tommorow, so i guess the next step is change the cooler and i hope i dont get temp spikes of 85-90c!
because after changing the cooler i dont know what else i can do after that if the temps are still high under load, i guess i will have to accept the higher temps on both chips the 3900 Xt and 5950x

but i do know for a fact when i put those chips in i ran stress tests and ran ryzen master on my 3rd screen to monitor temps and it never hit 90s otherwise i would have created a forum post back then

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Came across the below on anothe Forum, interesting how it reads about the cpu temps hitting 90s if the pump or AIO is failing

" I would inspect the hoses every 6 months or so for signs of leaks (some AIOs fail and leak fluid between the tube and the sleeving). If your pump fails then your PC will either 1) report the problem if you have it plugged into the right connector on your mobo, or 2) the CPU will run hot and probably thermal throttle. When my H100i's pump died it was still cooling the CPU enough that it never throttled, but my CPU temps were in the 90s.

TL;DR - watch for leaks and don't worry about it. "

Anjum_2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Right Guys

Quick Update i have Swapped out my Cooler to the H100i Elite Cappelix and i am now getting temps of 45c Idle and 60-69c under Load and Gaming, there was definatly something wrong with the AIO unfortunatly, thank you everyone i cant believe im seeing temps of 45c in Ryzen Master!!!
What to do with the old AIO ? send back to Corsair under RMA ? think its just under 2 years old