5Ghz stops working but 2.5ghz is fine

warlord55667

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
So this is an extremely frustrating problem that has been going on for around 3months now. After 2 months I was fed up with it and contacted Asus tech support, the maker of my router. In the end they decided the product was faulty and told me to send it in. That was about a week ago. I own two of their routers and brought the other one I was using as a repeater, to be used as the main one.

The problem is this. The 5Ghz channel will began to degrade over 10 seconds and then completely cut out, this will last for about 10minutes and eventually will come back. No computer can connect to this channel, but it is still broadcasted. The 2.5GHZ works perfectly fine.

I know for 2000 % that the router is not at fault as I am now using a different router., but the same model and I guarantee two won't have the same defect, especially when the problem has not been reported and were bought at different times and places. I have a Verizon router as my main modem, which connects to the ASUS router. Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong?

Thanks

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
2.4 and 5Ghz work a lot differently, one will sometimes work much better than the other, I could recommend just changing the channel on the 5Ghz network, I would guess you are getting interference from something in the house.

Was it working OK in that setup then quit? Or has it never worked well in that setup?

warlord55667

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I have put every combination of channels/control channels and all of that. It still cuts out on all different channels. My wifi analyzer doesn't show any other 5Ghz signals that would interfere.

warlord55667

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

My computer is about 8feet from the router, but I took my phone right next to the router and it didn't work when I tried.