Question 6 BSOD over the past week & Game crashes (NEW PC)

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
tcpip.sys
dxgkrnl.sys
Ndu.sys
volmgr.sys
kernel_security_check_failure
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I've gotten these errors, also when I'm playing games the crash way too much. Fortnite gives me "Application Hang Detected" and League of Legends gives me bugsplat errors.
I've tried memory check from Windows to see if it's hardware but nothing, I tried "Reset my PC" with Keep all my files from Windows, that didn't work either.
Any ideas?

I also downloaded BlueScreenView after my latest "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD and it this is the line:

https://prnt.sc/ov71v5

What could be the problem? Maybe a bad SSD? Hard drive? Not a hardware problem?

My rig:
NZXT H500 /
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Windforce OC /
G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz /
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming /
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Box /
Seasonic Focus Plus 500 Gold /
ADATA SU630

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Bluescreenview 90% of time blames ntoskrnl, it is what crashed but it doesn't tell you why or what might have pushed it.
dxgkrnl.sys = Direct X. It could indicate its a error caused by GPU drivers, try running DDU and reinstall Nvidia drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

tcpip - this is used for internet traffic so could mean LAN drivers
NDU is more rare - Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver - I haven't seen that before? could guess its lan as well.

Random errors in odd files could mean its ram
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

volmgr.sys - Microsoft Windows volume manager - think this is related to storage drives.
Download the trial of HD Sentinel and run any tests you can in the disk tab

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
2 sticks gave me errors, ended the test when I saw your comment to run 1 by 1. I put the first stick in and it gave me errors again so I ended the test to check 2nd stick now. What if both end up giving errors? Do the motherboard slots matter? Could it be the motherboard after all or it’s the sticks?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if both give errors, try one of them in another slot and see if it gives errors also... hopefully same test creates the errors.

If it doesn't give errors, it could mean its the motherboard slot

have you got XMP on? see if turning it on/pff makes any difference

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
if both give errors, try one of them in another slot and see if it gives errors also... hopefully same test creates the errors.

If it doesn't give errors, it could mean its the motherboard slot

have you got XMP on? see if turning it on/pff makes any difference
2nd stick didn’t give an error till test 10 so far should I do multiple passes or try the other stick on this slot too?

Colif

Win 11 Master
either way, you probably need to test it both ways, to see if bad stick recreates error on slot the hopefully good stick poasses on, and to see if good stick works in slot bad one didn't. Then remove the stick or stop using slot, and BSOD should stop if they all caused by ram

if its fairly new hardware, you can likely rma which ever turns out to be problem. Hopefully its just the ram

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Okay to sum up, we got slots 1 and 2 and rams A and B.
Dual channel in 1-2 failed.
B in 2 failed.
A in 1 passed.
B in 1 passed.

Tests were stopped after an error or in sleeping 1/4 Pass.
So 2 is f’d up? Should I try dual in slots 3-4?

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Dual channel on 3-4 crashed the test.
Ran again single in slots 1 and 2 with both and they both passed as singles but dual channel in 1-2 gives like 10 errors...

Last edited:

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
So at this point it could be both right? Or it's 100% the board?

Should I get a pair of RAMs from a friend and test it? And if it doesn't fail it's the RAM sticks or if it fails its the board?

For now I'm on 1 stick as I didn't get any errors like that to hopefully avoid BSOD.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Disabled XMP and I ran a dual channel test with no errors, now I'm running 16 GB @ 2133.
(Realised kinda late that you actually mentioned it earlier)

I'll update if I get any bluescreens or crashes.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry, i had to go to sleep, it was 3am when i last posted.

Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard? it may make a difference?

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
this page shows how to update it - https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf

All the bios updates mention this: Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

if you get it you need to download a utility that is 4th down on this page - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility - EC FW update Tool

coincidence I answered a question about this very board earlier tonight. why I knew about utility and where it was.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i mentioned tool before
Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

if you get it you need to download a utility that is 4th down on this page - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility - EC FW update Tool

I assume since it came with F40 it must have the change pre installed or something. I am not sure what it actually does.

If you happy to run ram at a slower speed, lets see how long it goes without a BSOD. Problem with BSOD is they don't wave a white flag and surrender, you only know they fixed when they stop happening. So not going to set a time on this :)

otherwise update BIOS and see if it fixes XMP.

TRENDING THREADS