6 month old build, how much could i get for it?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xe5y
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xe5y/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xe5y/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($126.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($183.87 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.97 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Seagate 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.97 @ TigerDirect)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($349.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Ultra 750W ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.88 @ NCIX US)
Other: Cpu/vga water cooling custom loop ($700.00)
Other: 3x3.5" Raid bay ($100.00)
Total: $2585.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-23 17:26 EDT-0400)

Case has a lot of custom work in order to fit cooling system. Which is 170mm photon tube res, with d5 vario pump, raystorm amd cpu block, xspc full vga waterblock, with all compression fittings, 90 degree adapters where needed, t connector to run separate 10" line with twist close valve to make filling/empting easy, 360mm rad, 240mm rad, with 5x corsair 120mm high performance pvm fans, and nzxt sentry fan controller. Thermal system I put as $700 but im sure it actually more expenisve than that, but its pretty close.

Built started November last year, added to around January, and cooling is February.

Want to downgrade size and go mini atx, figured easiest way would be sell and start over, and just go less all out for cooling.

Total build is worth $2500 now to buy new, I figure about $2000?

Mini ATX, or do you mean Mini ITX?

You are probably better off parting out the motherboard, CPU and you can carry over the drives, RAM and even the heatsink (depending on the tower you get).

If you just want micro-ATX, you can just buy any board.

Keep in mind, a miniITX gaming rig is going to run hot, and you will need better airflow. I wouldn't use Mini ITX as a primary gaming platform, only for casual gaming.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Yeah I would probably reuse the parts in your ITX build. You can reuse the graphics card, SSD's, one hard drive (two if you get a good case), and half of the RAM in your ITX build. Just sell the rest on ebay.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I realize this, but I want to get the cooler master haff type case, it only supports mini mobo. It offers good cooling, and ill just go like corsair h110i or something for cpu. I'll go 4930k and impact mobo. I've already got 4x8gb corsair vengeance platinum 1866 on way, and ive got a second 770 that I was using for sli, but will keep just the one for my new build. I do video rendering and encoding, not to much gaming. Plus when I game its normally on my laptop anyways. I already have and use an external raid nas server with 5x 2tb wd blacks in it, and have 2x Samsung 840 pro 540gb drives. I had then in laptop but just recently went 2x 840 evo 1tb drives instead. So thing is, don't really want anything in my current build, nor need it. I'll more than likely sell off the second 770 in this build along with waterblock, or maybe ebay the second one. Going either workstation or titan z, not sure waiting on benchmarks. Like I said don't game much, but depending on how well the titan z does for workstation, might be worth that route as then I can still game.

HAF?

I think you mean Micro ATX, not mini.

VIA_Mini-ITX_Form_Factor_Comparison.jpg

MicroATX is a few slots short of the regular ATX board, everything will carry over to an AM3+ Microboard. There's no issue transferring all of your components.

You will have less space in the case, and it might run hotter.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Problem is, I don't know of any good micro atx mobo for amd that support the 8350, equal to the pro version I have. Second big problem, my cooling system which was almost $1000 will in no way fit in this case. Third problem, not going to be gong sli in this case. Third, already bought new ram, so yea. Fourth, intel ssd's are of no real good use to me while still new and good ive just replaced them. Fifth, hhd, don't need that many since I went all out on nas server with wd blacks. Sixth, albeit not a great quality psu, its still 750w and fully modular, but wont be enough to power what I plan on putting into my new system. So yes, I could just transfer the cpu, and a single 770 into my new case. But that leaves every single other part just sitting here.

So... wondering what my system would be worth. I know part prices have falled since I purchased it, but buying it new is still $2600-2800. I know theres a hit/loss to be had selling used. So was wondering what you all here at toms think.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Alright, ill take your word on it. And thanks for checking into that. But I don't want what I have. What I wouldn't use is far greater than what I will use. So what would you say my system is worth?

I would ask $2000 and take anything offer over $1500 to sell it.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for an answer. But $1500 seems really low? I mean, that's half what I spend 6 months ago. I realize there is a used price hit to be had, but didn't think 50%. I couldn't even pay for the new cpu/mobo/ram with that.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks, but those are all low quality/feature/cooling mobo options. Which is why I don't want to try and carry over. Just going to go with the i7 six core 4930k.

USAFRet

Titan

If you don't like it, why would someone else?
$1500 for a used system is a tough sell.

I said ask for $2K, but take the first offer over $1500. People generally don't buy full systems, unless they are saving money on the components. You could probably part it out and sell the pieces for more, keep the SSD's.

And yes, MicroATX will not have as many features as standard ATX. This is a performance downgrade, not an upgrade.

I think you are throwing money away for cosmetic reasons, TBH.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Cosmetic? I'm going with a i7 4930k and Asus Rampage IV Gene (which has plenty of features). Going to add 4x8gb corsair vengeance platinum 1866 to take advantage of the quad channel memory. That's more than cosmetic. Plus the corsair 540 is a big case, takes up a good chunk of desk space, whereas the coolermaster is about half as tall, guessing about as big as my nas, which could be tucked away inside my entertainment system vs taking a 2'x2'x2' space on my desk.

This is far greater than costmetic reasons.

But buying a system which costed me close to 3 grand for 2 grand, saves that person money, plus if they are less than tech savy they can get a great system which bios has saved fully functional overclocks ranging from stock to 5.0 fully stable. My 5.2 still needs some work. Beats buying a system from online companys that build it for you and add a couple hundred to do so. I've also seen laughable systems on ebay or anywhere from $1000-2000. Not sure if they sell, but theyre definitely out there. If you ever want some amusement just go on ebay and search for gaming computers. You'll get a fx 4100 and matching quality gpu, with 4gb ddr2 ram, in a case with an led for $1000. But they'll throw in a 300gb hhd.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Then you put in the 100 ebay fee, shipping fee. Then the buyer tries to rip off seller. Then there is a technology support. Then there is liability in your name. Then there are other problems. I think the system is like a custom car. You never get your money back. You spent 800 on a case and cooling, and noone would spend that much for that because they would build their own. Excluding that 800, you have a 1700 dollar system. Used ssds are a tough sell as well as power supplies. i would salvage most of the parts possible and try to get a special someone for that custom cooling.

Vs. the FX-8350? No, it's not really that much better. Actually, the 4930K is a bit of a waste in the gaming department, you will probably get better performance from a 4770K.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63119-intel-i7-4930k-i7-4820k-ivy-bridge-e-review-13.html

It's a workstation processor, for video editing and other large file or database tasks, not gaming. Huge waste of money.

With all three (FX8350, i7 4930K, 4770k), you will get more or less the same frame rates unless you are running SLI or Crossfire. None of those chips will be a bottleneck for gaming performance.

The FX8350 fully support 1866 DDR3, the original motherboard fits in the new tower.

This upgrade is purely cosmetic and will make little to no impact on performance.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

As I said, I don't game much. I have my laptop for that, I almost never game on PC or even in general, but when I do I prefer my laptop over PC. I only ever really play titanfall or COD ghosts. PC is almost pure workstation, which is also why I stated I don't care about keeping gpu's, as hopefully getting titan z when it comes out, depending how benchmarks look. If Not well, ill probably pick up 3 titan blacks 8gb cards for sli. Which amd board don't handle.

And don't fully understand what your saying about the 8350 and the 4930k being almost equal. In rendering/video editing, and everything I do, benchmarks fully show the intel far superior to my 8350 in every category. I was limited by hhd/ssd speeds for rendering/editing, but now that I have my raid/nas setup hard drives are no longer the problem with read/write speeds around a consistant 800mbps vs the very fluctuating 500 mbps on my ssd's or 120mbps steady on single hhds and am now limited by cpu.

And as for current mobo, if I do go tri sli titan blacks, the mobo will not support that. It also doesn't support quad channel memory, which from what ive read and seen makes a big difference in editing/rendering. Sata controllers (especially for raid) are significantly slower than their intel counterparts. And my chip runs really hot at my max overclock (sad considering my cooling system) which is the only way it stays even competitive against intels offerings.

I said "It's a workstation processor, for video editing and other large file or database tasks, not gaming. Huge waste of money."

If that's what you're doing, than it works better. Just seems like an excessive amount money.

Sounds like you are more or less just moving away from a Desktop to a workstation environment.

You won't get any real performance gain from an onboard RAID controller, regardless of Intel vs. AMD. You are better off with a dedicated PCIe RAID controller, most RAID chips will bottleneck long before the drives bottleneck. That's assuming you want RAID for performance and not for redundancy.

You are not going to get Triple SLI on a MicroATX board, eitherway. However; my Asus Sabertooth 990FX does support quad SLI.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/specifications/

I am not sure how much impact SLI has on video rendering. Depends on the program
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4968670

Quad channel is Intel only, and the Intel will perform better.

I'm not really sure what you want here.
Small form factor or expensive rendering machine? You can't get both.

I still get the feeling you are just throwing money around. This seems like an unrealistic build.