[SOLVED] 6 pin and lp4 to 8 pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2020
Hi, from reading around I understand that if my PSU has one 6 pin and my graphics card needs an 8 pin, I can use the 6 pin and an adapter on one of the lp4 cables to 6 pin, then use an adapter from both dual 6 pins to an 8 pin.

This avoids the lack of power from those single 6 pin to single 8 pin adapters.

I was wondering if there was an adapter out there for a single 6 pin + lp4 to single 8 pin cable? It would cut out the middle man of an lp4 to single 6 pin first.

I know there’s other options out there but I want to draw power from a spare lp4 and I don’t want to change the PSU.

Solution
The power supply is the heart of the system. This is the one place you DO NOT go cheap. When a power supply fails (and the cheap ones WILL) it can take the rest of the system with it. Suck it up, pony up a few buck more and get a quality supply.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you read around the correct places, the understanding you would have received is that this is almost never recommended as a safe option and a common source of melting connectors and sometimes, PC fires.

A power supply not having a proper 8-pin PCIE cable is almost always a junk-tier model that's unsuitable for powering anything that requires that much power. You may not want to change the power supply, but life is unfortunately full of things we do not want to do or pay for, but are the necessary, responsible, safe things to do or pay for.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, pretty awful junk; CIT's notorious for churning out the dodgiest junk from the cheapest factory they can find in Guangdong. I'd consider it lucky it doesn't have an 8-pin cable because there's no way I'd want to hook up a GPU I just purchased to it, even if it did.

The power supply is the heart of the system. This is the one place you DO NOT go cheap. When a power supply fails (and the cheap ones WILL) it can take the rest of the system with it. Suck it up, pony up a few buck more and get a quality supply.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.