Question 6 Pin or 8 Pin Connector?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Quick questions: I have the RX 580 Red Devil. It has a 6 Pin and a 8 Pin connector. Which pin am I supposed to hook up with? My RM650x does have both pcie pin connectors. Why do they make two different pins port? And, does it matter which I use?

10.jpg

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and your power supply should have 4 x 6+2 connections so it has more than enough to power the card.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650x-psu,4611.html

it is a modular psu so you should have the extra cables somewhere. however, the single cable you have should have 2 x 6+2 so should be good enough anyway as is.

yes you should be using both connections to ensure the card can run at its full potential. it may technically run on just the 8 pin but i guarentee you are not getting anywhere close to 100 of the performance from it. every time it tries to go full throttle, it will have to back ff due to not having enough power.

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Ok. So I need to use two individuals pcie cables coming from the PSU? And not one pcie cable 8-pin with 6-pin splitter? because I just now was using one pcie connector to run the 6pin and 8pin. Is it ok to using one pcie cable from the psu that has a 6pin and 8pin splitter?

because I just now was using one pcie connector to run the 6pin and 8pin. Is it ok to using one pcie cable from the psu that has a 6pin and 8pin splitter?

Yes, and I think you have done it correctly as well, as evident form the pic. 8+6-PIN PCI-E connectors. Splitter doesn't matter, as long the cable provides BOTH the 6 and 8-PIN power to the GPU. All PCI-e cables come with a splitter, 6+2-PIN.

There are no separate 8-PIN PCI/PEG connectors.

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Yes, and I think you have done it correctly as well, as evident form the pic. 8+6-PIN PCI-E connectors. Splitter doesn't matter, as long the cable provides BOTH the 6 and 8-PIN power to the GPU. All PCI-e cables come with a splitter, 6+2-PIN.

There are no separate 8-PIN PCI/PEG connectors.

Ok good to know the splitter is okay. I really thought you have to use one separate pcie cable for the 8pin and another separate pcie cable for the 6pin. Earlier I was only using the 8pin connector. Everything went ok. I hope nothing comes back negatively later 😟

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it'll be good to go. the circuit is designed so that each connection can get it's full power without failing. so using both from the same cable won't hurt a thing.

there was a time back in the day when some of the cheaply designed/made multi-rail psu's would overload a circuit if all the connections were used but that has not be the case for a long time. it's been a non-issue for many years now and not worth even worrying about :)