Question 6 QHD setup - 1 or 2 cards?

Sep 24, 2024
Hi all,

I am running a new 6 QHD setup but I really need graphic card update.
For the moment, I have a RTX 3080Ti OC (with water-cooling block) which can run up to 4 screens... Last 2 screen are handled by mother board cpu
With this configuration I do have a LOT of lags (which seems normal)

I really wonder which choice to make to get a stable configuration.
  1. Get an AMD Radeon PRO W6800 which can run all 6 screens at once
  2. Get a second RTX and balance 3 screens on each
  3. Run 5 screen on a AMD Radeon PRO W6800 and keep my RTX for my main screen
The main use is work.. but i quite like, when time permit it, to play a game or two (game played on a single screen - no need of surround functionality)

I really don't know which config will work the best and will offer the best performance for this case
i'm really open to any input :)

Thanks a lot

Sep 24, 2024
No need to buy such expensive cards for just display outputs.

Cheap workstation card can take over most of it:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/27RFf7/pny-quadro-m2000-4gb-video-card-vcqm2000-pb

Another option would be something cheap like a GT1030 or Intel A310 / A380.
Thanks for your answer

I was maybe not clear on my question sory.
Work include 3D design, Ai and scientific development so yes I need a correct graphic card. (and I am not looking for a cheap solution )

For me the main question here is which configuration is the best efficient that will cause less lag as possible and most performant solution.
2 graphic card? only one? load balanced ? or main screen on a separate ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You still have the 3080 Ti, so nothing there would change. If you wanted to, you could run a single display from the 3080Ti, maybe one from the iGPU (assuming that isn't the source of your performance issues, shared memory being a factor), and 4 from the M2000.

W6800 is equivalent to the RX 6800, a little slower than the RTX 3080, so not much gain there for the cost except the additional display outputs.

If you want more performance, a 4090 would certainly be a dramatic uplift and worth getting over a Quadro or Radeon Pro (6000 more CUDA cores and a generational uplift in clock speeds compared to your 3080 Ti). But then the question becomes if you have enough power and space to keep the 3080 Ti in there. (You can probably still get around $400-500 if you sell it now, if the 50 series launches this year, not so much)

None of the big Quadros and RTX cards offer anything more than 4 DP, so that wouldn't be that different either way.

If you are using the 3080 Ti to render across multiple screens, and some of the those screens are being passed through the iGPU, that would probably be the main problem. Though it could just be what you are running. Have you taken a look at system memory usage when you experience issues?

For $100 I think the M2000 is worth a shot.