[SOLVED] 60-80 FPS in fortnite. Please help ):

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I have a i7 6700k GeForce gtx 950 superclocked and 16 gigs ram. I play on everything low I even changed my resolution to 1280x720 with 50% 3d resolution but when I’m in a build fight even with just one person my FPS drops from 120-140 to 60-80. I have my FPS capped in game at 144. I even overclocked both gpu and cpu but my threshold sits between 60-80 fps. It’s extremely difficult to play everything is choppy. All my drivers are up to date. Pls if anyone can help would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
Ouch that blows man Im sorry you have to go through this. The Unreal 4 engine is a heavily optimized engine that plays well on any rig give or take having to lower resolution or graphic detail. A drop from 140fps to 80fps is unacceptable my friend. You have a decent CPU so that is not the issue. Note tho when you drop down the resolution things fall on the shoulders of the CPU. As for overclocking is concerened you can do that on your CPU but doing it on your GPU won't make any difference. The 950 is a ok card nothing to write home about. Off the bat I have three suggestions. First go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and choose nVidia and do a clean and restart then once your up in...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Ouch that blows man Im sorry you have to go through this. The Unreal 4 engine is a heavily optimized engine that plays well on any rig give or take having to lower resolution or graphic detail. A drop from 140fps to 80fps is unacceptable my friend. You have a decent CPU so that is not the issue. Note tho when you drop down the resolution things fall on the shoulders of the CPU. As for overclocking is concerened you can do that on your CPU but doing it on your GPU won't make any difference. The 950 is a ok card nothing to write home about. Off the bat I have three suggestions. First go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and choose nVidia and do a clean and restart then once your up in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers. After doing this uninstall Fortnite and then reinstall it and apply the patches then go play at 1080p resolution and hit me back up as to what your average framerate is. Good Luck✝🎗👶

Solution

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Ouch that blows man Im sorry you have to go through this. The Unreal 4 engine is a heavily optimized engine that plays well on any rig give or take having to lower resolution or graphic detail. A drop from 140fps to 80fps is unacceptable my friend. You have a decent CPU so that is not the issue. Note tho when you drop down the resolution things fall on the shoulders of the CPU. As for overclocking is concerened you can do that on your CPU but doing it on your GPU won't make any difference. The 950 is a ok card nothing to write home about. Off the bat I have three suggestions. First go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and choose nVidia and do a clean and restart then once your up in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers. After doing this uninstall Fortnite and then reinstall it and apply the patches then go play at 1080p resolution and hit me back up as to what your average framerate is. Good Luck✝🎗👶
Much appreciated brother I will definitely give this a try and let you know

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Naw, that's about right for the 950 now. Since the game has received visual updates in it's engine over the last couple of years, older videos showcasing what was is no longer.

If you can grab a 1660 super, you'd enjoy this game a lot more.

Reactions: Adrian Palikowski

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Naw, that's about right for the 950 now. Since the game has received visual updates in it's engine over the last couple of years, older videos showcasing what was is no longer.

I back this statement but let him do what I said and if that doesn't do it then your theory is completly correct. I do remember the GTX 760 was a pretty good 1080p card and the 9xx series is not that bad as the 1xxx series came out after that. However this is a GTX 950 with minimal VRAM. However don't frown my brother just do the things I said and lets hope we have you ticking again. Good Luck.✝🎗👶

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013

You think so? Idk I get good FPS in csgo I only have this issue with fort. When I’m in creative playing free build I’m getting 220 fps. When I’m not in a build fight I get 120-140, but the second I start fighting someone it gets really choppy

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Two different games/ engines, can't really compare.

Try limit background running activity as much as possible, can limit startup items in Task Manager. If use utilities like Discord, try move them away from the primary core using affinity in Task Manager.

Could also try turning off Hyperthreading in the bios and see if that does anything BUT nowadays would prefer it on. CSGO might benefit more though.

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Two different games/ engines, can't really compare.

Try limit background running activity as much as possible, can limit startup items in Task Manager. If use utilities like Discord, try move them away from the primary core using affinity in Task Manager.

Could also try turning off Hyperthreading in the bios and see if that does anything BUT nowadays would prefer it on. CSGO might benefit more though.
I turn everything off I even go as far as going turning off certain services but it doesn’t do anything

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
It's only grasping at straws, can only go so far trying to optimise the OS. Upgrading is the only thing that'll make a bigger difference.
Yeah get something like a RX 570 and you will be goo to go at 1080p resolution as your CPU is not a bad CPU at all and Unreal Engine 4 is a heavily optimized engine. I remember Unreal Tournament back in 1999 it would play great on my P2 450Mhz lol🙈💯👌👽

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah 570 or 580, they go fairly cheap, would be a phenomenal upgrade too.

We lan'd the hell out of that game with similar setups. Awesome times :)
Wow ahaha I got a reply you rock boju. Yup those were the good ole days where we weren't spoiled with smartphones whos graphics are 10x better and you carry it around with you and play multiplayer and what not. I was so happy when I got my 2100 dollar Asus P2B SCSI Cheetah 4GB hard drive with Windows 98 on it. We can go back further and talk about Descent 1 and Descent 2 in 1994 and 1995. Multiplayer with a nice 26.4k baud modem but I did upgrade to 56k modem LMAO. The noise of the connection and once it connected brought so much joy. Mind you I had a 20 inch nice curved TV which I adored and I think my monitor was max 15" at that time and big as heck. LOL Eventually I got the Sony FW900 lmao 2304x1440 at 22.5 inches. Then there was Duke Nukem. Todays kids are all spoiled I tell you. They don't appreciate but we sure did. Again your a cool dude I loved it when I saw your response. Ultra Kill, Monster Kill, God Like . The announcer was amazing in UT99 but then they messed up the game with the newer versions that came out. Take care my brother and stay safe.😁💯👶✝🎗

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wow ahaha I got a reply you rock boju. Yup those were the good ole days where we weren't spoiled with smartphones whos graphics are 10x better and you carry it around with you and play multiplayer and what not. I was so happy when I got my 2100 dollar Asus P2B SCSI Cheetah 4GB hard drive with Windows 98 on it. We can go back further and talk about Descent 1 and Descent 2 in 1994 and 1995. Multiplayer with a nice 26.4k baud modem but I did upgrade to 56k modem LMAO. The noise of the connection and once it connected brought so much joy. Mind you I had a 20 inch nice curved TV which I adored and I think my monitor was max 15" at that time and big as heck. LOL Eventually I got the Sony FW900 lmao 2304x1440 at 22.5 inches. Then there was Duke Nukem. Todays kids are all spoiled I tell you. They don't appreciate but we sure did. Again your a cool dude I loved it when I saw your response. Ultra Kill, Monster Kill, God Like . The announcer was amazing in UT99 but then they messed up the game with the newer versions that came out. Take care my brother and stay safe.😁💯👶✝🎗

You too :)

Experiences are very similar, could easily have been part of it with us. All of those games, decent was great, duke3d, doom quake, c&c , monster truck madness, need 4 speed (made up mode, hide and seek :p), HL CS & TFC, Medal of honour AA, bf 1942, freelancer and many more. Dayton USA at the arcade was always essential wherever we found it :)