[SOLVED] 60 fps doesnt feel smooth on a 144hz gsync monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2021
and when i get more then 144 fps , the games doesnt feel smooth neither, only when i turn vsync on and gsync off, and then it actually feels like 144fps, but when i dont get 144 fps and the fps variates between like 110-70 then it doesnt feel smooth, battlefield 5: vsync is off gsync is on, and if i set the fps limit to 60 via riva tuner, then it just feels like 30 fps no joke its like fps is cut in half, very weird,
gtx 1660 ti
ryzen 5 3600x
single channel 8gb ram 3200mhz
nvme ssd
windows 10
latest drivers are installed, gsync is on in monitor
please help.

Solution
and my ps4 had 8gb ram obv, and 60 fps felt smooth af, just like in videos, beacuse ps4 has some sort of software i guess, it really isnt ram, ram matters in ram expensive games, do you think valorant is ram expensive??? and how is that 144fps whit vsync runs perfectly on valorant but 60 fps is dogwater, feels like 30 after watching a 60 fps youtube video or playing on my ps4, explain that man

Hey there,

Look, I get you're frustrated. I'm only trying to offer advice and be helpful.

Having your system ram at the 8gb level, means it will fill up pretty quickly. Out of 8gb, approx 1-1.5gb are system reserved. That leaves you with about 6.5gbs. A decent game in the last 5 years or so, will eat up anything you have left. Now...
Hey there,

Well, to start, I'd prob say that it's not v-sync/g-sync on off causing the issue (not necessarily)

You have only 1 x8gb stick of ram. This is literally hobbling your system. Ryzen loves fast ram which you have. But it also loves dual channel (as do most modern systems), even more.

By having only single channel ram, you are losing out on as much as 15-25% performance in certain tasks, but specifically gaming.

I'd go right ahead, and buy a matched kit of ddr4 3200/3600mhz ram, and sell your current 1 x DIMM to offset the cost. Then report back about your gaming experience. 8gbs will make your games stutter, and a very unenjoyable experience.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Jun 26, 2021
Hey there,

Well, to start, I'd prob say that it's not v-sync/g-sync on off causing the issue (not necessarily)

You have only 1 x8gb stick of ram. This is literally hobbling your system. Ryzen loves fast ram which you have. But it also loves dual channel (as do most modern systems), even more.

By having only single channel ram, you are losing out on as much as 15-25% performance in certain tasks, but specifically gaming.

I'd go right ahead, and buy a matched kit of ddr4 3200/3600mhz ram, and sell your current 1 x DIMM to offset the cost. Then report back about your gaming experience. 8gbs will make your games stutter, and a very unenjoyable experience.
yes but man, i am watching my fps whit riva tuner and its at constant 60 fps, 16,6 ms frametime, so it doesnt appear to be any stutters whit fps, it just feels more like 30 and not 60

Jun 26, 2021
Hey there,

and my ps4 had 8gb ram obv, and 60 fps felt smooth af, just like in videos, beacuse ps4 has some sort of software i guess, it really isnt ram, ram matters in ram expensive games, do you think valorant is ram expensive??? and how is that 144fps whit vsync runs perfectly on valorant but 60 fps is dogwater, feels like 30 after watching a 60 fps youtube video or playing on my ps4, explain that man

I second this could be a RAM problem. It is not the amount or speed of the RAM but the fact you are running single channel and not dual, your bandwidth is halved. This is known to cause stuttering.

What hardware a PS4 has is completely irrelevant, you cannot compare to a pc. Just for starters a PS4 does not have the overhead of running Windows.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Hey there,

Having your system ram at the 8gb level, means it will fill up pretty quickly. Out of 8gb, approx 1-1.5gb are system reserved. That leaves you with about 6.5gbs. A decent game in the last 5 years or so, will eat up anything you have left. Now imagine on top of that, you have some Chrome tabs open or whatever, and you'll see your remaining fill up and start using the swap file/virtual mem, which is located on your SSD/HDD. This will really cause major stuttering, whilst your FPS metrics look right. This is because it's so much slower than system ram.

However, in terms of Vram (the memory on your GPU) 6gb in your GTX1660ti is plenty for 1080p and almost any game. There are only a few that would use up to or more than 6gb Vram. So that's not the issue. Typically for BV F I hit about 3.5gbs vram usage at 1080p 144hz with all the bells and whistles on.

On the driver side, did you do a clean install? You can do this by choosing custom install and ticking the clean install button. this will completely remove your old driver, and install it fresh.

It might be worth trying a bios update, if you haven't already to see if it's bug related.

Check your system for these KB updates: The Windows 10 update that's been trashing framerates has been fixed | PC Gamer

Remove it if installed and see if it affects the problem.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 26, 2021
I second this could be a RAM problem. It is not the amount or speed of the RAM but the fact you are running single channel and not dual, your bandwidth is halved. This is known to cause stuttering.

What hardware a PS4 has is completely irrelevant, you cannot compare to a pc. Just for starters a PS4 does not have the overhead of running Windows.
why doesnt it cause stutters for 144fps then??? and like i said its not stutters there is no way stuttering can feel like constant 30 fps

Jun 26, 2021
Hey there,

Having your system ram at the 8gb level, means it will fill up pretty quickly. Out of 8gb, approx 1-1.5gb are system reserved. That leaves you with about 6.5gbs. A decent game in the last 5 years or so, will eat up anything you have left. Now imagine on top of that, you have some Chrome tabs open or whatever, and you'll see your remaining fill up and start using the swap file/virtual mem, which is located on your SSD/HDD. This will really cause major stuttering, whilst your FPS metrics look right. This is because it's so much slower than system ram.

However, in terms of Vram (the memory on your GPU) 6gb in your GTX1660ti is plenty for 1080p and almost any game. There are only a few that would use up to or more than 6gb Vram. So that's not the issue. Typically for BV F I hit about 3.5gbs vram usage at 1080p 144hz with all the bells and whistles on.

On the driver side, did you do a clean install? You can do this by choosing custom install and ticking the clean install button. this will completely remove your old driver, and install it fresh.

It might be worth trying a bios update, if you haven't already to see if it's bug related.

Check your system for these KB updates: The Windows 10 update that's been trashing framerates has been fixed | PC Gamer

okay im gonna try bios update but still this has nothing to do whit my ram, idk how you people cant understand this everyone has been saying its my ram, it isnt beacuse i dont get stutters, my fps feels cut in half if i dont get 144 fps whit vsync on, that is not stuttering my guy, but okay i am getting 16gb of ram, dual channel 3200mhz, and ill report back, thanks for trying to help, but i just cant understand how this has anything to do whit ram when 144fps doesnt "stutter"

Jun 26, 2021
Hey there,

oh and if i lock fps to 60, then it feels like 30 when im moving my mouse or when my hands are doing something in the fps game, but like seeing an npc walking is 60 fps or something more far away from the screen

why doesnt it cause stutters for 144fps then??? and like i said its not stutters there is no way stuttering can feel like constant 30 fps
I’d expect the games where you can actually ached 144fps are not as CPU/RAM demanding. Single channel RAM is know you impact game performance, not in all games but in enough. A gaming system especially running Ryzen should not have single channel ram.

Jun 26, 2021
I’d expect the games where you can actually ached 144fps are not as CPU/RAM demanding. Single channel RAM is know you impact game performance, not in all games but in enough. A gaming system especially running Ryzen should not have single channel ram.
okay, valorant: i get 144fps, whit vsync, whitout vsync i get 250-180 not feel as smooth as 144 whit vsync, it feels more like 80-100-60, then i tried something, locking my fps to 60!!!!! it felt like 30 fps, then i go watch 60 fps youtube video, it is way smoother, i try disabling vsync, still feels like 30, then i go ahead and enable gsync! wow no difference who would have taught! i am suffering from this issue for 2 years, i am only playing game where i can achive 144 fps , beacuse i cant play games whit 60 beacuse it just feels like 30 , all i can say is that its when im moving my mouse, gta 5 is best example, beacuse the character is far away from screen it resultuts in smooth 60 fps, the car moving, my cahracter npcs, but the screen movement when i move my mouse? terrible, lets say any fps game i get 60 fps, all animation that character does like reloading feels like 30 and mouse movement aswell, then i look at my teammate, the teammate is moving at 60 fps feels smooth, i can assure you my friend this is not ram, yes in bf5 i get stuttering whit 8gb ram but i get constant 30 fps feeling not just stuttering on 60 fps, please belive me, i know the difference beetween stutters and constant framerate

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
One problem is that you're giving us your subjective impressions of performance, but not data that would help us have anything particularly insightful about it, such as hard data like 1% and 0.1% fps lows.

To make an example for this point, I just ran a race in Forza Horizon 4. At 1440p with settings on Ultra, I averaged 181.6 fps, with a 1% low of 135.9 and a 0.1% low of 116.0.

With only a very general, vague description of framerates -- you appear to just be eyeballing data and giving us arbitrary ranges and not a single bit of information as to resolution/settings -- we can only focus on weaknesses in your machine. And 8 GB of single-channel RAM is a huge weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.