Question 60 fps + not smooth

bc5777

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi all. As an interim upgrade I picked up a 2nd gtx 970 for cheap and am running sli. I also bought a Dell D2719HGF 144hz monitor in anticipation of getting a Navi card later in the year.
Now I could be wrong but I thought that if my cards are pushing out high fps and my monitor has high fps what I would see is the super smooth gameplay, on TV's what you would call the soap opera effect. Or if you watch a 60fps video on youtube.
I DO NOT get any microstuttering or lag, in fact my games look really good, just not the smooth effect I was anticipating.
Can anyone suggest what settings I might try(although I have tried a lot) or explain to me why my setup cannot deliver what I thought it would.

Thank you for reading.

You don't get the soap opera effect on video games because games are coded to run at a specific speed no matter what FPS you are getting.
(You can look at exceptions of this if you search for 60FPS unlock for fallout 4)
With video at high FPS it is running "faster" / has more frames than the 25FPS we are used to so it looks weird.

bc5777

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Oh thank you. So it is game specific then? Is there a list of games that do support the higher fps. Is that list really small? Why then do games show a selection in settings of say 144 hz refresh if it won't show an effect more than 30? I am still not understanding, sorry.

The soap opera effect is only a thing for those not used to it. Once you get used to super high FPS, you get used to it. Since you've been gaming at high frame rates for a very long time, you won't feel odd to you. The soap opera effect is most likely a marketing ploy anyway, to get people to be happy with low frame rate movies.

Last edited:
Oh thank you. So it is game specific then? Is there a list of games that do support the higher fps. Is that list really small? Why then do games show a selection in settings of say 144 hz refresh if it won't show an effect more than 30? I am still not understanding, sorry.

Refresh rate and FPS are 2 very different things. The refresh rate is how often your monitor updates its image from your frame buffer. If the frame buffer doesn't change images, it just keeps showing the same frame, and it's like nothing is happening at all. FPS (frame per second), is how many frames your GPU has created and placed in the frame buffer for the monitor to show. This will be the maximum number of frames the monitor can change, assuming its refresh rate is as fast as the GPU.

If your FPS are 30, it doesn't matter if your monitor has a refresh rate of 100000hz or 30hz. It will only show 30 new frames a second. (There are some small benefits to a higher refresh rate, but you are still limited to which ever is slowest).

There should be no such game at all,only if it is buggy as fallout 4 was at first.
The high refresh rate is just so you get a new frame as fast as possible after you move or do anything,at 60FPS you have to wait 16ms from moving until you see a change on the monitor 120FPS halves that number.
this might explain it better.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/6