Build Advice $600 PC build ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 15, 2021
I’m trying to build a PC for $600 without the monitor, keyboard or mouse. I don’t know anything about pc builds and I was wondering if there are builds I can do for about $600 roughly that makes a decent computer that can handle games as well as be a regular computer.

larkspur

Distinguished
Nothing above $300
Make sure that your RAM is running at or near its advertised speed - that will help your 5600g's graphics run better. Run CPU-z and look at the "memory" tab. That will tell you what speed and timings your RAM is running. If you didn't configure your RAM in the BIOS then it might be running very slow - that will slow down your 5600g's graphics a lot. The 5600g needs fast system RAM because it uses system RAM as its video RAM.

If your RAM is configured properly and the 5600g's graphics aren't good enough for you then you should probably look for a used GPU. $300 doesn't really get you a decent new GPU these days... Look for a used GTX 980 or GTX 970. Ebay seems to have some of them for under $300. That would probably be your best bet.

Reactions: helper800
Oct 15, 2021
Would the GTX 980 or the GYX 970 that that larkspur mentioned be compatible with your build and if so, would I also need to upgrade my ram for the gpa?