News 600 Raptor Lake Refresh Chips Binned, 14900K Beats 13900KS

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
so the new CPU is slightly better than the old one? Wow thats a surprise! Jeez send me 150k and I will confirm that for far less!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Article is confusing. So, in the graph of SP, a higher value is better? Then, in the graph of VID that includes i9-13900KS, lower is better? I guess that's why the second graph arranges the x-axis in decreasing order.

If correct, both graphs show the i9-14900KF doing worse, which aligns with my natural expectation, since those are the chips with disabled GPUs. Presumably, they don't disable them unless they have a defect, which should correlate with lower overall quality.

It makes sense that the i9-1390KS would have a smaller distribution. Furthermore, you'd expect a top bin to have a cluster right at the cutoff point from the next lower bin, which is again consistent with the VID graph's x-axis decreasing.

The year-on-year differences between the 13th gen CPUs could be explained by Intel sourcing some of those chips by binning from its 14th gen production line. That would skew their distribution lower.

Hresna

Commendable
Jun 18, 2022
I assume he sells them or has a deal with a PC builder to test them before they get used.
Almost certainly this. there are retailers that let you pay for specifically binned chips, the higher sp values go for more money. For a certain class of enthusiast, I guess there is value in that

Reactions: usertests