Question 60hz issue - Need help before i lose my mind

Jan 27, 2022
Hey guys

Im about to lose my <Mod Edit> over here.

Yesterday i had to reset my pc for various reasons.

Now, i can not, even if my life depended on it, get my screen at 144hz.

Monitor: BenQ XL2411
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660
Motherboard: z730 SLI plus

When i do on my display settings, in the dropdown menu where you choose which hz to run, i can only select 60hz. Before the pc reset, i could choose 144hz just fine. I cant figure out what im missing. Everything is connected the same.

My monitor is connected to my GPU with DVI-d -> DP adapter.

Send help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Needs to be active dp to dual link dvi adapter. Your adapter might be but there are fake cables. @Glenwing has tested recommendations.

Input dp to dvi and head down to "DP to DVI active adapter recommendations"

Either adapter works or it doesn't, long as Geforce driver is installed there should be no other reason why it shouldn't be working unless you never had 144hz to begin with.

Check Windows refresh rate under monitor adapter.

Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, ive read a few posts now, where i cant understand theres alot of bad adaptors.

I am however 100% sure that ive run 144hz for 2 years with this setup, but for some reason it does not work after a total reset of the pc.

Strange

Depending on how you windows account is set up you may need to run driver installs and programs with right click "run as administrator" to be able to see and change settings.
With out administrator rights you can not change settings.
Also make sure windows is activated. Without it you can not "personalize " your windows settings.

I am not really sure how to find the specific one, theres very limited information on the adaptor itself, but it looks alot like this one: Product | StarTech.com DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter - 1920x1200 - Passive DVI Video Converter with Latching DP Connector (DP2DVI2) - DisplayPort adapter - 15.2 cm (insight.com)
That one is limited to 60Hz.
You'll need a bit more expensive adapter for high refresh rates.

https://www.startech.com/en-eu/audio-video-products/dp2dvid2

Jan 27, 2022
Thank you for the admin suggestion, i didnt think of that one. Im not sure what i need to run as an admin tho, since ive installed the driver just fine through GeForce Experience.

I can not use a displayport cable unfortunatly, since the screen does not have a displayport entrance.

I have run 144hz with this exact setup for 2 years, but for some reason i can not get it to work after a system reset.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it's the adapter, or anything physically related to that. There are settings in windows or monitor osd gimping the output to 60Hz, most likely the monitor is set on wrong mode so it's sending the gimped EDID info to windows giving you only the 60Hz option.

Some monitors have their own inf file to release the higher frequency functions, and that would have been in windows/drivers until the reset, which deletes that entire folder. Usually on an install CD, or can be found online at support site/downloads etc.

TRENDING THREADS