Question 60hz Monitor Making 144hz monitor same hz on desktop

Feb 7, 2021
I know this issue has been brought up many times before but I could never find a definitive answer. I run one 60hz monitor and a 144hz one and when I turn off the 60hz display the main one goes back to a smooth 144hz. When it is turned back on it makes both monitors to 60hz when dragging apps and more around with a small stutter. Full screen games are fine with 144hz but the desktop problem is bugging me. I would appreciate any suggestions and I have tried a few already.
I have read that many get a new 144hz monitor because the PC cannot run both but I hoped there was another way around it.

EDIT: Just fixed it by buying an old GTX 660 for £20 and connecting my 60hz to it and my 144hz to my 2070 super

Last edited:
That issue happened with me, My main monitor was 144Hz and my secondary was 60Hz. Are they connected to the computer via HDMI, or is one connected via display port? Usually the issue with using both HDMI and display port at the same time, you'll want to set it up only using display ports. At least that worked in my experience since you're talking about high-refresh rates.

Feb 7, 2021
That issue happened with me, My main monitor was 144Hz and my secondary was 60Hz. Are they connected to the computer via HDMI, or is one connected via display port? Usually the issue with using both HDMI and display port at the same time, you'll want to set it up only using display ports. At least that worked in my experience since you're talking about high-refresh rates.
My 144hz is using DP and my 60hz is using HDMI both into my GPU. Would you recommend getting a DP for the 60hz?

My 144hz is using DP and my 60hz is using HDMI both into my GPU. Would you recommend getting a DP for the 60hz?

That was my solution, and my situation was pretty much the same as yours. To manually solve it I had to turn off my main 144Hz monitor and turn it back on, or go into nvidia control panel and manually drop the 144Hz to 60Hz, then back to 144Hz. It was a pain doing this everyday. Got a DP and the problem slowly went away. It still happens every now and again but rarely.

Feb 7, 2021
That was my solution, and my situation was pretty much the same as yours. To manually solve it I had to turn off my main 144Hz monitor and turn it back on, or go into nvidia control panel and manually drop the 144Hz to 60Hz, then back to 144Hz. It was a pain doing this everyday. Got a DP and the problem slowly went away. It still happens every now and again but rarely.
Neither of the things you had to to worked so i will try the DP solution and get back to you. Thanks for the advice

Edit: My 60hz doesn't have a DP so I'm not really sure what to do.

Last edited: