Question 60hz vs 75hz Monitor Refresh Rate Question.

AndyWills44

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
Hi all,

I wondered if someone could help me out with a couple of questions ?, but first a little background information.

I decided to build myself a new ' power consumption conscious ' gaming PC, the idea being that I would try & build the most powerfull PC that I could using parts that used very little wattage to save on my energy costs, i.e like I installed the most powerfull graphics card I could find that didn't have to be externally powered etc , well you see where i'm going with this ( i'll paste my new PC's build below for you to see ). I also decided to replaced my old monitor as it uses a massive 44watt at full load which is a lot compared to todays modern monitors that can use as little as 10watts full load. However, my new monitor is not really a gaming monitor & I now feel that I should have gone with an entry level 75Hz ' Power Saving ' gaming monitor to give my new rig ( i.e mainly the graphics card ), a bit more room to maneuver when it comes to the monitors FPS as i'm now seeing some frame stutter in some games. I've tried overclocking my new monitor to 70Hz to try & improove on the situation, but it didn't. I mainly feel that this is because the monitor was built only to give a deadicated refresh rate of 60Hz at its 1600 x 900 Native Resolution. Anyway, on with my questions, & I'd be greatfull for any advice given but please note that I am not looking for New monitor recomendations, just the answers to my questions, thank you.

Question ( 1 ).
If I buy an entry level ( power saving ), gaming monitor with a deadicated refresh rate of 75Hz with a Full HD 1920 x 1080 Resolution, will it make any difference to my present situation, or will I be in the same boat because the Native Resolution is higher then my current monitor running at 60Hz, 1600 x 900 resolution, so will knock out any gain that I might achieve from the higher 75Hz refresh rate.

Question ( 2 ). I went from an 8ms responce time with my old monitor to a 5ms responce time with my present one, but to be quite honest I failed to see any difference on screen, so will going for a monitor with a 1ms responce time over one with a 5ms responce time make any difference in what I see on screen either ?

My New PC's Build:
Power Supply: ATX 500W with a 120mm Fan.
Motherboard: ASROCK H81M-DGS R2.0 with UEFI Bios & integrated Realtek HD 5.1 Surround Sound Audio.
Cpu: Intel (Quad Core ), i5-4690K (3.50Ghz,), with an Intel BXTS15A Cooling Solution, with a TS15A LGA Copper heatsync & 92mm fan.
Memory: 16GB of QUMOX PC3200, DDR400 (400MHz), RAM.
Video Card: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1650 OC, PCI Express 3.0, with 4GB of GDDR6 Memory.
Hard Drives: (1). 1TB, Western Digital (WD), BLUE, 3D NAND, SATA SSD Drive, (2). 500GB, Seagate, 7200RPM HHD External Hard Drive.
Case Cooling: 1 x 120mm Front Fan, 1 x 120mm & 1 x 80mm Side Fans, 1 x 92mm Rear Fan.
Present Monitor: DELL E2020H LCD, TN, 20" 60Hz, 5ms, 1600 x 900 Resolution, Widescreen (16:9).
OS: Windows 7 Professional, 64bit Edition ( installed for better compatability with both Retro games, along with modern titles ).

Last edited:

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
AOC 24G2 seems like about 12W consumption, and it's a great monitor (budget gaming grade)

Edit: the official spec is 21W, the 12.2W is from Hardware Unboxed YT channel testing.

(About the response times, I don't know, don't have enough experience.)

AndyWills44

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
AOC 24G2 seems like about 12W consumption, and it's a great monitor (budget gaming grade)

Edit: the official spec is 21W, the 12.2W is from Hardware Unboxed YT channel testing.

(About the response times, I don't know, don't have enough experience.)

Yea, i'm not that fond of that brand as there seems to be a lot of people that are having dead pixel problems on AOC panels at the moment, & I myself have just sent back a brand new ACO G2260VWQ6 monitor as it arrived with 2 clusters of dead pixels on its panel.

However, I was looking more for an answer to my 2 questions rather then a new monitor recomendation as I already have in mind a monitor that I'm thinking of purchasing if the answers to the above questions make it worth my while doing so, but thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions anyway as its much appreciated.

Last edited:

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Yea, i'm not that fond of that brand as there seems to be a lot of people that are having dead pixel problems on AOC panels at the moment, & I myself have just sent back a brand new ACO G2260VWQ6 monitor as it arrived with 2 clusters of dead pixels on its panel. However, I was looking more for an answer to my 2 questions rather then a new monitor recomendation, but thanks for your reply anyway.

Well as nobody answered (yet), I thought to put my two cents.
I might be getting this monitor, so I hope it won't have the dead pixels problem.
BTW I didn't understand your 1st question, maybe some others don't too (so maybe rephrase, the clearer the easier to read and answer)

AndyWills44

Prominent
Sep 11, 2020
It's a pretty simple question to understand if your up on PC's, although you quoted that you don't have enough experience so perhaps that's why you didn't understand the question.

However, I did thank you for your reply to my questions & said its much appreciated, so I don't know why you seem to be sounding a little sore, but if i've offended you it was not my intention.

All the best, & thanks again,

Andy.

Last edited:

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Thanks Andy, everything is 100% OK, it's probably the difficulty to pass the whole intention and "tonation" through a fast written reply (as happens to me and others many times with phone messaging also).
Hope you will get your answers shortly!