64-bit capable CPU won't work with/install any 64-bit OS

suredoood

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
First time posting about really any tech problem so please bear with me here.

I had windows 8.1 64-bit running on my pc for about 18 months or so just fine, but then randomly one day it blue screened, one of the ones with the " :( " saying that it will gather info and restart. At first it would only happen when playing some videogame, but then it escalated to when I was web browsing and eventually just a few minutes after booting.

Eventually, after troubleshooting everything I could, I tried reinstalling windows. While it was installing I just got the same error and crash as before. This started to get frustrating so I decided to try windows 7 instead, however I only had a 32-bit version but I desperately needed to use my computer for school so I decided to do it.

To my surprise, windows 7 was working perfectly (except I couldn't do anything that required a 64-bit OS). After my need for the computer was finished I decided to do more troubleshooting with the hardware, I swapped HDD's and even bought a new SSD to see if there was some sort of problem writing while installing, I still got the same error from all of them when I tried installing windows 8 or 8.1.

Here's the kicker, I got windows 7 64-bit but when I tried installing I just got the same exact blue screen error (most of them say under them "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" which I have already tried to solve with online solutions to no avail). So I have narrowed it down to being a CPU problem.

I want to just upgrade my CPU, really not a problem for me, but I would like to verify that this is the issue before buying a new one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
AMD FX-8320
MSI 970A-G46
EVGA Geforce GTX 970

Solution
You probably just have bad memory that's outside the range that the 32bit os can access. Swap your sticks around and I'll bet you get a failure in 32bit too!