64 bit Java won't install on Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hi everyone, here's whats up. I'm having trouble installing 64 bit java on my new Asus laptop running windows 7 x64. I've tried both offline and online installations of both version 6u26 and the new verion 7 jre to no avail. When I try to intall the exe i've downloaded from the java website, I go through the usual "click yes for authentication" and then the installer appears for an instant with its little green bar and dissapears. The installer no longer shows up in my task manager, though the process still exists. The installation just hangs indefinatly with no errors. If i try to reload the installer exe I get an error

"Installer : Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

All of the "fixes" i've found via google require you to uninstall the previous version, but I have no previous version of 64 bit Java installed. All i have is a 32 bit java and I'm hesitant to uninstall that. I thought it might be my antivirus/firewall (which shuouldent matter for the offline versions) so I turned them off for an installation attempt with no success. Windows is fully updated so no problems there and it was a clean install, as i swapped out the stock hard drive for an SSD, so any bloatware issue is non existant. No problems installing other programs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-JC

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'd say to just uninstall the 32 bits Java; worst case you can just reinstall it.

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Yes i am running the installer as Admin. I'm reluctant to uninstall the 32bit version as it is my only way to play minecraft. ;) I will if I must, I just don't want to be stuck with the same installation problem I have with the 64bit version.

U can always restore it back, just create restore point or make back up image if u are not sure about it.

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
That's right, I totally forgot about system restore! lol Anyway, so I uninstalled java via "programs & features" in the control plannel and restarted my computer. Still have the same problem with java installation. I haven't tried reinstalling the 32bit java yet. :( Do any other programs come to mind that would cause the java installer to act like this?

Deep scan your PC for trojan/virus...

Delete java traces

Kill Java process, close everything u can thru process explorer + AV + FW atc.

Remove CD/DVD media

Run CCleaner thru the registry.

Close all browsers then try again. If fail, boot to safe mode and install it.

Try that.

Try also this

Install Java through command prompt so that it can generate necessary log files to troubleshoot the issue.

Goto java.com and click on the Free Java Download button.

Click on the Save button and save Java software on the Desktop

Verify that Java software is saved on the Desktop.

Open Windows Command Prompt window.

Windows 7: Click Start -> Type: cmd in the Start Search field.
In the Command Prompt window Type: cd Desktop and hit Enter.
Type: JavaSetup6u24.exe /LV* %TEMP%\jreMSI.log
Follow all the prompts to complete Java installation.

Also look for install error log file

How to Get the Log Files?

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
Go to Start > Type: %TEMP% in Start Search field.
or
Go to Start > My computer > c: > users > username > AppData > Local > Temp

Look for following files in Temp folder:
jreMSI.log
java_install.log
jusched.log

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
ok, so here's what I did. I did a full scan with my virus protection software along with malewarebytes. No problems found. I restarted my computer to start from a clean slate. I followed the directions using the CMD and (hopefully) created the temp files. I had to change the Javasetup6u24 to the proper Java setup file name. When I ran the line the installer did what normally happens. The prompt comes up to yes or no the installation. after yes, the installer appears for a split second and dissapears.

I've checked the Temp folder for the files

JreMSI.log and jusched.log can be found. Java_install.log cannot be found though there is a MSI19D6.tmp file that was made at the same time.

(BTW, thanks so much for helping me out with this. ^_^)

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
oh hey it seems i overlooked the Java_install_reg file, because it wasn't created at the same time as the other two. in fact it was an hour before which tells me it is from a previous installation attempt. There is also a Java_Install_sp text document that was created 2 months ago... fyi.

Anyway the previous 3 files
JreMSI.log
jusched.log
MSI19d6.tmp

were what resulted from the command prompt install attempt. I can open the files post their contents if need be. (except for the MSI19d6.tmp, not sure what program would open that to be readable)

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
You will need java 32bit as most website don't support java 64bit yet. Anyways I have Windows 7 64bit and looking into my folders I've found out I'm using java 32bit. Why would you want to use the 64bit flavor of it?

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I figured that if i was using my 64 bit computer to operate programs and games (e.g. minecraft) that I should be using a 64 bit version of java to do so. I just found it strange that I'm unable to install it. I'm sort of sensitive to the possibility of this installation issue happening in the future with other programs.

This is by no means an urgent, must-fix-immediatly issue.

I am curious, however, if anyone else is having similar problems, as this issue might be a problem in the future when websites adopt the use of 64bit java.

JonnyComp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Oh, by the way, I was able to reinstall the 32 bit java with no problems. Afterward I tried installing the 64 bit version and still had the same problem. This might be a lost cause. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.