[SOLVED] 64bit RAM on a 32bit CPU

Solution
Hi everybody, the titles says it all.
Can I use a DDR2 2GB x 64-bit RAM on a Pentium 4?
If the spec sheet literally said 64-bit, that's actually just how wide the bus is. It just means that it can transfer 64-bits at once. It has nothing to do with if a CPU is "32-bit" or "64-bit"

The only thing you have to worry about is if the motherboard supports it. The rest is handled by the motherboard's chipset.
What about Intel Celeron D 326?

Works in motherboard with PPGA478 socket. But is awfully slow for modern standards. Do not expect something above Windows XP or Linux distros from first side of 2000s working on this antiquity. What you want to achieve? Can understand if you want to make retrogaming box. But for normal use forget about it and get something decent instead.

Reactions: alirwez
Hi everybody, the titles says it all.
Can I use a DDR2 2GB x 64-bit RAM on a Pentium 4?
If the spec sheet literally said 64-bit, that's actually just how wide the bus is. It just means that it can transfer 64-bits at once. It has nothing to do with if a CPU is "32-bit" or "64-bit"

The only thing you have to worry about is if the motherboard supports it. The rest is handled by the motherboard's chipset.

Solution

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
The motherboard means all.
It is what determines what kind of ram you can use as well as what processors can be installed.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
The Celeron D 326 is so abysmally slow that I would hate to use it at all.

The motherboard.. uhh... I think it's some chinese motherboard from the DDR2 era.
I still haven't got the parts, but I'm thinking about it actually.
This is the model number after a bit of research: 865GVKL2
and here is a photo of the exact Mobo: https://s17.picofile.com/file/8424263134/image_2021_02_08_014751.png

Cheeky bastards from Shenzhen are making motherboards with Socket 478 now? Wow! There Western e-waste goes into good recycled use. A second circle of life, pure green tech :p I'm begin to develop curiosity about their usual clientele and preferred OS and programs.

So far can't see "official" drivers for this curiosity. But I'm 99% sure that particular board is a clone of MSI Microstar 865GM2-LS motherboard. Bad news - newest supported OS is Windows XP 64-bit. Good news - supported CPUs for this board will not work with newer OSes anyway.

Reactions: alirwez

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Cheeky bastards from Shenzhen are making motherboards with Socket 478 now? Wow! There Western e-waste goes into good recycled use. A second circle of life, pure green tech :p I'm begin to develop curiosity about their usual clientele and preferred OS and programs.

So far can't see "official" drivers for this curiosity. But I'm 99% sure that particular board is a clone of MSI Microstar 865GM2-LS motherboard. Bad news - newest supported OS is Windows XP 64-bit. Good news - supported CPUs for this board will not work with newer OSes anyway.
Nice point LOL 😂 👍