64bit sees all my ram but doesn't use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hello Fellows

Recently I installed more ram into my computer (from 4 to 8gigs) and also upgraded my 32bits OS to 64-bit OS! (I formatted my C drive in that progress!)

But when I go to system in my computer it recognises all the ram but can only use 3.31gigs instead of the 8 I want it to use!

Can someone help me with this!?

Greetings

Solution
First, go to your bios and check if it recognize your 8GB ram. If it say 4GB, then check your setup.

Is your motherboard dual channel and you only installed one stick? This is a common user error.
Another error is you didn't install the ram correctly. Did you hear the click when you were installing the ram and check if it is fully snap in.

What is your motherboard model and what ram you purchase?

polke45

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
First, go to your bios and check if it recognize your 8GB ram. If it say 4GB, then check your setup.

Is your motherboard dual channel and you only installed one stick? This is a common user error.
Another error is you didn't install the ram correctly. Did you hear the click when you were installing the ram and check if it is fully snap in.

What is your motherboard model and what ram you purchase?

Solution

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

I have a ASUS p7h55-M Motherboard and I know it can handle 32 gigs

I added 2 extra 2gig ram sticks (these aren't the same as my previous 2!)

And I'm pretty sure the actual installation went right because it was done at a computer store!

CNCSIT

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Just because it was done in a shop doesn't mean the person who did it knew what they were doing. You say the RAM's are different how different? Are they a different clock speed or simply a different brand?

polke45

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Try this: Start > System Configuration > Boot > Advanced Options
Make sure Maximum memory is unchecked and set to 0

To check if the installation is good, use CPU-Z to see if the 4 ram is there.

If it still failed, try this. Unplug your previous 2 ram and move your 2 new ram to the other slots to see if it still works. If failed, then your new ram is bad.

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

only diffrent brand they all run at 667 Mghz

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Used CPU-Z shows 8gb ram and max ram already was on 0!

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

I think I haven't upgraded my bios , and my Gpu is an Nvidia Gtx 560 wich I build in myself

g-unit1111

Titan

Not true. It depends on what you do with it. 32 bit versions of Windows work with less than 4GB of RAM. 64 bit versions will work with 8GB of RAM or more. Home Premium has a max RAM limit of 16GB. Pro has no RAM limit. And if you're playing games you do not need more than 8GB. If you're doing anything else like video editing, photo editing, or CAD/rendering then you will need more than 8GB.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Win 7 Limits (64 bit)

Windows 7 Ultimate 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 16GB
Windows 7 Home Basic 8 GB
If they installed these in a shop have you considered asking them - you paid for them to do something that would Work, not just be there---and they should know better than to mix sets of DRAM -

With that out of the way, what are the model #s of the DRAM sets and we'll see what we can do to get them running ;)

2 GB

N/A

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

I have got Windows 7 Ultimate.
I have 2x2gig sticks DDR3 Corsair 667 Mhz and 2x2gig A-Data Technology DDR3 667 Mhz.

But I think I haven't even used the A-data ones because windows doesnt even use them ... it only uses 3.31!

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

My extra ram is only meant for better gaming performance gents!

DutchPride

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Also before I installed 64bit It also showed 3.31gigs were in-use , this made me think that I didnt install windows correctly!
So installed windows over and over formatting the c-drive but with no results!

I thought you might be interesting in this information

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Could be MC (memory controller of mobo- try loosening the CPU cooler, then snug it down and try, if too tight on a corner or side it can set the CPU out of level and not get full contact to the pins - this often affects the MC - can also check for bent/broken pins on the CPU

ohioguy

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

You are dead on - nice answer

Status
Not open for further replies.